Author Topic: Animals found beheaded after 'ritual cleansing' in DeBary  (Read 1090 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Animals found beheaded after 'ritual cleansing' in DeBary
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:32:24 pm »
Doesn't rate as Ridiculous News, but too weird not to share.

DeBARY, Fla. - Deputies found the corpses of chickens, pigeons, a goat and a turtle that were beheaded during a ritual cleansing meant to cure a man of his schizophrenic thoughts, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

A woman called 911 Wednesday afternoon to report that she found a recycling bin full of dead animals while she was riding her bike on Toms Road.

"I didn't get real close to it, but I know there was a goat, and a chicken, and they were all missing their heads, which I thought was kind of strange," the caller said.

Deputies said there were five chickens, two pigeons, one goat and one turtle beheaded in the bin. The turtle was not a protected species, according to the report.

More: www.clickorlando.com/news/animals-found-beheaded-after-ritual-cleansing-in-debary
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Animals found beheaded after 'ritual cleansing' in DeBary
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
This is similar to another story a few years ago, these animals left by the roadside and it sounds like the Caribbean practice of "Santeria".  Perhaps calling it basic voodoo is good enough.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:40:13 pm »
I find it funny that the story specifically mentions that the turtle was not a species on the protected list.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:40 pm »
I find it funny that the story specifically mentions that the turtle was not a species on the protected list.

No harm, no foul?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:16:08 pm »
No harm, no foul?

Hah, something like that.  I was secretly wishing it was a gopher tortoise.  Those things are a pox...  literally, they dig burrows in the ground.  The larger ones are big enough to get a big zero turn mower stuck in.  Want to ask me how I know this?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:18:21 pm »
Hah, something like that.  I was secretly wishing it was a gopher tortoise.  Those things are a pox...  literally, they dig burrows in the ground.  The larger ones are big enough to get a big zero turn mower stuck in.  Want to ask me how I know this?

Well, it seems like it should be something you could see coming.  :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:19 pm »
Well, it seems like it should be something you could see coming.  :laugh:

You would think!  If we kept the entire property mowed all the time you could.  But our back 3 acres we only mow every now and then, so especially in the summer when we have a lot of rain the grasses will grow up tall enough around the holes and you can't see them.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:35 pm »
You would think!  If we kept the entire property mowed all the time you could.  But our back 3 acres we only mow every now and then, so especially in the summer when we have a lot of rain the grasses will grow up tall enough around the holes and you can't see them.

That makes sense now. I have to admit this is the first time I have heard of someone getting their mower stuck in a tortoise burrow. It seems outlandish. 
Makes me LOL.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:37 am »
From Wikipedia:  Gopher tortoises, like other tortoises of the genus Gopherus, are known for their digging ability. Gopher tortoises spend most of their time in long burrows, up to 14.5 metres (48 ft) in length and 3 metres (9.8 ft) deep.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:17 am »
From Wikipedia:  Gopher tortoises, like other tortoises of the genus Gopherus, are known for their digging ability. Gopher tortoises spend most of their time in long burrows, up to 14.5 metres (48 ft) in length and 3 metres (9.8 ft) deep.

Big enough to use as safe houses for the Underground Railroad. The only thing we have around here are badgers. Their holes aren't big enough to lose a mower in, but they are a mostly a danger to livestock. They sometimes break a leg, stepping in them.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:13 am »
Big enough to use as safe houses for the Underground Railroad. The only thing we have around here are badgers. Their holes aren't big enough to lose a mower in, but they are a mostly a danger to livestock. They sometimes break a leg, stepping in them.

Yes, that's really what I worry about with my dogs; breaking a leg in one.  They also for some reason WANT TO GET THEM!  Which means they'll stick their head in and dig as fast as they can.  Really scared they're going to find a rattlesnake in one some day.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 01:35:00 am »
They didn't say if it helped his schizophrenia.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:38:07 am »
They didn't say if it helped his schizophrenia.

I think it probably helped theirs. Under the category, "We're All Crazy Now".