Author Topic: In meeting with Mahmoud Abbas, Trump calls for peace 'all throughout the Middle East'  (Read 800 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In meeting with Mahmoud Abbas, Trump calls for peace 'all throughout the Middle East'
Washington Examiner, May 23, 2017

President Trump met Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Tuesday in Bethlehem, just one day after he toured holy sites in Jerusalem and reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Israel.

"I am truly hopeful that America can help Israel and the Palestinians forge peace and bring new hope to the region and its people," Trump said during a joint appearance with Abbas. "I also firmly believe that if Israel and the Palestinians can make peace, it will begin a process of peace all throughout the Middle East, and that would be an amazing accomplishment."

The president has also signaled a shift away from the Obama administration's insistence that a two-state solution should serve as the only template for an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement. Trump has said he would back whatever framework that's agreeable to both parties, whether it's a one-state solution or a two-state solution.

Trump met Abbas hours after an apparent terrorist attack claimed 19 lives and injured at least 50 at a concert venue in Manchester, England.

"It's so interesting that our meeting took place on this very horrible morning of death to innocent young people," Trump said on Tuesday. "Peace can never take root in an environment where violence is tolerated, funded and even rewarded."

More:  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-meets-palestinian-authority-president-mahmoud-abbas-in-bethlehem/article/2623876

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:18:54 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

President Trump Reception Ceremony With President Mahmoud Abbas.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Is it just me, or do those kids look badly photoshopped in?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Trump to Abbas: Peace can't take root if violence is tolerated.

Abbas tells Trump Palestinians eager to have dialogue with Israel.

Is it just me, or do those kids look badly photoshopped in?

LOL!  No .. it's just you.  They greeted the President when he arrived at the palace.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:20:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Jason D. Greenblatt‏Verified account @jdgreenblatt45 2h2 hours ago
Just had another productive meeting with President Abbas to follow up on @POTUS' visit.