Author Topic: Blood Clot Treatment  (Read 746 times)

rangerrebew

Blood Clot Treatment
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:26:52 pm »
Blood Clot Treatment

By Dr Ananya Mandal, MD

A blood clot or thrombus can form in the vessel walls of arteries or veins. An arterial thrombus is a very dangerous clot that can obstruct the flow of blood to major organs and cause complications such as stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA or mini-stroke), heart attack, or peripheral arterial disease.

A venous thrombus can occur in the deep veins of the body such as a deep leg vein (deep vein thrombosis, DVT) or a blood vessel of the lung. In DVT, a piece of the clot may detach and travel to the lungs where it can lodge and create another blockage. This is a potentially life-threatening complication of deep vein thrombosis called pulmonary embolism (PE). DVT and PE are collectively termed venous thromboembolism (VTE).

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Blood-Clot-Treatment.aspx
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:27:35 pm by rangerrebew »

Silver Pines

Re: Blood Clot Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:03:10 pm »
Three years ago I developed a DVT in my right calf.  I thought it was a strained muscle, but when I looked at my leg and saw it was slightly swollen, I went to the doctor.  She sent me for an ultrasound, which came back clear; she diagnosed superficial clots which she said would dissolve on their own, and told me to take Advil.

I felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The pain went away, but came back a month later.  Back to the doctor, another ultrasound, and they took me right over to the ER and put me on a blood thinner for six months.  It took a while to kick in, so for a while I had to give myself stomach injections...no big deal, really, because the needles were tiny little things. I had been working out right up until the previous day, and the ER doctor told me that could have made my clot dislodge and go to my lung. 

I had none of the risk factors for DVT; the hematologist said the closest he could come to pinpointing a reason for it was a folic acid deficiency.  They did all kinds of expensive genetic testing to see if I had issues with clotting factors. Being on Warfarin was a pain...I had to go to the lab and have blood drawn regularly to check the meds level, and I couldn't eat green vegetables.  I was told that I would need to go the ER immediately if I hit my head on anything.

Since then, I've read you should never settle for doctors' tendencies to blow off what they call superficial clots.  If you're diagnosed with them, don't let them tell you Advil will fix it.  I've read about people who died because of it. 

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
Warfarin was a pain...

I do empathize @CatherineofAragon It took me almost 6 months to get my appetite back after the stomach injection treatment and at that time I really couldn't afford to lose any weight, got it all back and MORE 2 years later.

Warfarin, rat poison

Warfarin was first used as a rat poison or rodenticide because it was considered to be too potent to be safely used in humans, but after a blood test was developed to measure and adjust its blood-thinning effects, warfarin has become the most widely used oral anticoagulant in the United States.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:20:58 pm »
   I do empathize @CatherineofAragon It took me almost 6 months to get my appetite back after the stomach injection treatment and at that time I really couldn't afford to lose any weight, got it all back and MORE 2 years later.

@corbe, I'm so sorry they affected you like that.  The hematologist told me if I ever take an overseas flight I'll have to take them again before I board as a caution.

Rat poison!

!!!!!

So the drug I took is the reason rats bleed out when they're poisoned.   Thank you, God, for letting me come through it.  Toward the end of my treatment, I had begun to bruise very easily.