Author Topic: If You Bought $5 of Bitcoin 7 Years Ago, You’d Be $4.4 Million Richer (New high for "BTC")  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
"Seven years ago, the value of a single bitcoin was worth a quarter-of-a-cent. Today, that single bitcoin is worth upwards of $2,200.
Monday marked the seventh anniversary of what is said to be the first recorded instance of bitcoin used in a real world transaction..."

Excerpt...more here: http://fortune.com/2017/05/22/bitcoin-price-millionaire-anniversary/

Me:
Bitcoin is sooo 2010! The hot new cryptocurrency is "Ethereum": https://www.ethereum.org  (Have moved most of my BTC to ETH).

Offline Frank Cannon

If You Bought $5 of Bitcoin 7 Years Ago, You’d Be $4.4 Million Richer

Yeah, and if I bought AAPL 7 years ago @ $12 a share I would be rich too. Thing is that there is a much higher likelihood that Bitcoin will be made illegal at some point than Apple.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Aaaaah lighten up Frances!  ;-)   Apple only has a 26% gain over 10 years, not exactly the 880,000x gain for BTC.  Anyway, BTC isn't really an investment (except for "penny-stock" type day-traders)....more of a tool...think of the citizens of Venezuela or Zimbabwe...life savings wiped out by hyperinflation if left alone. Dump it into Bitcoin or Ethereum anonymously and convert it to Swiss Francs or $$ or something at your leisure. "Blockchain" technology has a pretty bright future, whether it be Bitcoin, Etherium or a future open source project like "Hyperledger". Kinda hard to ban a technology that lives on hundreds of thousands of PC's worldwide and is just a VPN away from your own country. Would be like trying to ban encryption or the Internet.

https://www.hyperledger.org
https://www.wired.com/2016/02/ibm-and-microsoft-will-let-you-roll-your-own-blockchain/
http://performance.morningstar.com/stock/performance-return.action?t=AAPL&region=usa&culture=en-US

I just "dabble" in cryptocurrencies, but it is part of my diversification strategy, along with "physical".

@Frank Cannon

Offline Frank Cannon

Kinda hard to ban a technology that lives on hundreds of thousands of PC's worldwide and is just a VPN away from your own country. Would be like trying to ban encryption or the Internet.

Not really. Bitcoin is up because of China and their troubles. China is already starting to regulate it. You think that if the Communists find that Bitcoin is causing trouble for the Yuan, the Chinamen are not going to pull the rug out from under it? This goes for any central bank.

BTW, why would I want to have anything to do with Ethereum? JP Morgan has their fingers in it.

Offline bolobaby

Currency is power. As soon as the U.S. has a real dollar crisis, the gubbermint can make it illegal for legit business transactions to take place using bitcoin since, constitutionally, they have the only power to print currency.

Sure, you can transact with them to buy your dope off the books, but good luck getting anything from Amazon or Wal*Mart with them.

When that happens, bitcoin will crash.

Oh, and bitcoin is WORSE than normal fiat currency for two reasons:

1) It is generated through actual WASTE.

2) It has no backing of law, so I have no obligation to accept your crappy vapor coin.

That being said, the valuation for this vapor is particularly impressive. There are a lot of rubes in the world, apparently.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online corbe

Sorry CNBC, Bitcoin Won’t Make You Fabulously Wealthy, But You’ll Probably Lose Your Shirt

By Steve Berman  |  May 24, 2017, 06:52pm  |  @stevengberman

Bitcoin, the world’s cashless crypto-currency, narrowly avoided death in 2016, and has now rebounded to a high of around $2,200 as of Monday. CNBC breathlessly reported “If you bought $100 of bitcoin 7 years ago, you’d be sitting on $75 million now.”

They based their jaw-dropping calculation on the initial value of a valueless mathematics-based “currency” set seven years ago on “Bitcoin Pizza Day,” when Laszlo Hanyecz bought two Papa John’s pizzas for Ƀ10,000, fixing the value at about $0.003.

Technically, CNBC is right. If you bought Ƀ33,333 for $100 in 2010, your wallet would be worth $75,052,916.13. But probably (almost certainly) not.

Simple economics

There are several reasons for this, the first being simple economics.

Bitcoin is a cyber-currency, which is mathematically limited to a money supply of Ƀ15.2 million. New currency isn’t created by a government or a bank, it’s “mined” by computers. The mining process makes new Bitcoin harder to mine as more is in circulation. Currently, you have to run a pretty serious mining rig (and pay for it) to get a decent return.

Mostly these days, it’s large investors running server farms and selling slices getting the mining done. Every day, there are approximately Ƀ1,440 mined worldwide, with a value of $3,242,318 at current rates. The mathematically-capped value of all Bitcoin at current rates is a bit over $34 billion.

Basic economics informs us that there’s simply not enough value to the currency to make anyone except the very early investors rich. In fact, Bitcoin could be the world’s greatest Ponzi scheme, but for the fact that the Japanese government has taken a gamble on using it for retail transactions. The current bump is mostly due to that one event.

Technical limitations

The other reason you’re not a Bitcoin millionaire is that the technology is not fully mature, and may never be. The currency was designed to be an anonymous cryptography-based system, using a “blockchain” to record transactions between highly encrypted “wallets.”

With no hard currency, Bitcoin is dependent on a single, revisionless, blockchain to record every transaction in the world. That means there’s a non-theoretical transactions-per-second limit to do business with Bitcoin (making the fees to use and exchange the currency with “real” currencies fairly high). The companies that do the mining also handle the transactions. This can lead to massive fraud and malfeasance.

Actually, it has.

Fraud and security breaches

If you’ve heard of the Mt. Gox disaster, you probably know all this already. Mt. Gox was a Japanese Bitcoin exchange, that famously went bankrupt, taking with it at least $460 million (at the time in 2014) of missing funds. Hackers got a good portion of the loot. From a Wired piece in 2014:
Last week, after a leaked corporate document said that hackers had raided the Mt. Gox exchange, Karpeles confirmed that a huge portion of the money controlled by the company was gone. “We had weaknesses in our system, and our bitcoins vanished. We’ve caused trouble and inconvenience to many people, and I feel deeply sorry for what has happened,” Karpeles said, speaking at a Tokyo press conference called to announce the company’s bankruptcy. This would be the second time the exchange was hacked. In June 2011, attackers lifted the equivalent of $8.75 million.
<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/sorry-cnbc-bitcoin-wont-make-you-fabulously-wealthy-but-youll-probably-lose-your-shirt/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rodamala

I wonder how rich I would be if I kept all those Bazooka bubblegum wrappers.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
"Seven years ago, the value of a single bitcoin was worth a quarter-of-a-cent. Today, that single bitcoin is worth upwards of $2,200.
Monday marked the seventh anniversary of what is said to be the first recorded instance of bitcoin used in a real world transaction..."

Excerpt...more here: http://fortune.com/2017/05/22/bitcoin-price-millionaire-anniversary/

Me:
Bitcoin is sooo 2010! The hot new cryptocurrency is "Ethereum": https://www.ethereum.org  (Have moved most of my BTC to ETH).

But 7 years ago, hardly anyone knew about it other than a few starting it up. It really didn't start seeing a peak until 2013 when Pirate Bay started accepting it, and even then it was pretty much a dark web currency. I think it was around 2014 is when it became mainstream and was selling around $1200.  The last few years it has settled in the 400-600 range and only spiked in the past few weeks due to some moves in Japan experimenting with accepting it for above the par retail transactions. This bubble will burst.

I've seen in the past few weeks serious bitcoin retailers pop up selling it.  A couple of guys I know who were mining it from the early days. They are banking now but selling to get out quick while it is high (all while promising high theoretical returns)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:02:04 am by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I wonder how rich I would be if I kept all those Bazooka bubblegum wrappers.

If I didn't blow up all my Star Wars characters with fireworks...

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
I "mined"/"made" about 2.5 BTC in 2011 or so (cost me about 50 cents in electricity and GPU/CPU time)...and proceeded to forget about it...luckily in 2015 I was able to find my BTC "wallet" on an old back-up HD!!  Fraud isn't really the problem (don't leave your Bitcoin "on account" at an exchange where it can stolen [i.e Mt. Gox]...keep your encrypted wallet in your personal possession on an external drive/thumb drive).  The biggest problem for BTC is "scaling" of the blocks (block size limit)...Bitcoin transactions are "piling up":

https://cointelegraph.com/explained/bitcoin-scaling-problem-explained

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I "mined"/"made" about 2.5 BTC in 2011 or so (cost me about 50 cents in electricity and GPU/CPU time)...and proceeded to forget about it...luckily in 2015 I was able to find my BTC "wallet" on an old back-up HD!!  Fraud isn't really the problem (don't leave your Bitcoin "on account" at an exchange where it can stolen [i.e Mt. Gox]...keep your encrypted wallet in your personal possession on an external drive/thumb drive).  The biggest problem for BTC is "scaling" of the blocks (block size limit)...Bitcoin transactions are "piling up":

https://cointelegraph.com/explained/bitcoin-scaling-problem-explained

Wow, google says that is worth $7000.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
There was a guy that used to work for me, who had a financial advisor talk him into sinking his co. retirement into dot coms in the late '90's.  We all know how that worked out.  Stunt cost him 15 yrs more of a delayed retirement.

Investments comprised of smoke and mirrors are half smoke. And where there is smoke there is ........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.