Author Topic: Dogs can talk to humans, study suggests  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Dogs can talk to humans, study suggests
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:23 am »

17 May 2017 • 12:01am

Dogs have a surprising ability to make humans understand what their barks and growls mean, a study has shown.

Women were better than men at recognising when a dog was being playful or threatening, or feeling fear, scientists discovered.

For the study, 40 volunteers listened to different growls recorded from 18 dogs that were guarding their food, facing a threatening stranger, or playing a tug-of-war game.

Overall, participants correctly classified 63 per cent of the growl samples - significantly more than would be expected by guesswork alone, said the researchers....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/dogs-can-talk-humans-study-suggests/

geronl

Re: Dogs can talk to humans, study suggests
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
we are just too stupid to understand

"Look, you aren't fenced in, why aren't you chasing that squirrel?"

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:08 am »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:59:04 am »
My dogs have different barks for different things; squirrel bark, mailman bark, food bark, play bark, etc.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 01:55:49 am »

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:28:18 am »
I hate barking!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:45:12 am »
My dogs have different barks for different things; squirrel bark, mailman bark, food bark, play bark, etc.
Ours is half husky, half Lab (webbed toes, curled tail) and whistles as well as barks. Very different sounds for 'someone I know is here' 'Someone I know and am very happy to see is here', mailman (what is it with that), another dog, someone I don't know (challenge bark), I want to go out, I want to come in, and playful sounds along with get away from the dish!.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:10 am »
Wonder how much money was spent on this "study"??

Any dog owner would be able to tell you that they 'talk' to us and offer evidence and proof without so much as a plum nickel having to be spent on it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:50:31 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:53:38 am »

Any dog owner would be able to tell you that they 'talk' to us and offer evidence and proof without so much as a plum nickel having to be spent on it.
True, that. In any given day, I could get at least four of the common communication sounds, and there are at least a dozen. One of the most vocal dogs we've had, second only to the wolf/shepherd cross I had many years ago. She would talk to me with a combination of sounds and gestures. She was the smartest dog I ever had, too--this one is second.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:09:42 am »
True, that. In any given day, I could get at least four of the common communication sounds, and there are at least a dozen. One of the most vocal dogs we've had, second only to the wolf/shepherd cross I had many years ago. She would talk to me with a combination of sounds and gestures. She was the smartest dog I ever had, too--this one is second.

I am partial to Malamute/Shepherd/Wolf crosses - Mountain bred dogs, over 125 lbs...  Sled dogs are easily a hundred times more vocal than other breeds... and actually DO talk to you (and I miss that so very much).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM

But if all you are looking at is vocalizations, you're missing more than half of how a dog talks. Almost every one of mine, when they mean it, aren't making a sound at all, or just a low growl. The tail and the stance say more than the bark ever could.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:14:09 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 05:11:13 am »
I am partial to Malamute/Shepherd/Wolf crosses - Mountain bred dogs, over 125 lbs...  Sled dogs are easily a hundred times more vocal than other breeds... and actually DO talk to you (and I miss that so very much).

But if all you are looking at is vocalizations, you're missing more than half of how a dog talks. Almost every one of mine, when they mean it, aren't making a sound at all, or just a low growl. The tail and the stance say more than the bark ever could.
True, that. Posture has a lot to do with it, as does facial expression.

C S Lewis

Offline Salamander

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 08:15:35 am »

Ain't that the truth.

Yeesh.

Next thing you know, they'll be getting paid to tell us that dogs understand us.

:::rolls eyes:::
Ezekiel Has A Tiger...

Offline Salamander

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:16 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM

One of the many things gutting me right now, is that Odin [actually called Bubby] is no longer here for the howls.
There's a commercial about fire prevention that has a tinny, rinky-dink piano soundtrack and he always looked at me with big eyes and then started to howl.
Then Djinni would howl and Gypsy would shriek, because she can't really howl, properly.
And then I'd join in and we'd have a 5 minute howl fest that ended with me laughing and them all full of wagging tails.

It came on a couple nights after he died [and I don't care if you think I'm mad, because by now, I no doubt am] and I started to howl...and then cry.
But the girls didn't join in.
I'm a poor substitute for Bubby, their howl leader.

Also, every time I came home, as soon as I came up the sidewalk, I would hear them howling a joyful greeting, in the living room.

When I come home now, it's so unbearably quiet.

How shall I ever find another dog like him?

:'(
Ezekiel Has A Tiger...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 11:46:28 am »
One of the many things gutting me right now, is that Odin [actually called Bubby] is no longer here for the howls.
There's a commercial about fire prevention that has a tinny, rinky-dink piano soundtrack and he always looked at me with big eyes and then started to howl.
Then Djinni would howl and Gypsy would shriek, because she can't really howl, properly.
And then I'd join in and we'd have a 5 minute howl fest that ended with me laughing and them all full of wagging tails.

It came on a couple nights after he died [and I don't care if you think I'm mad, because by now, I no doubt am] and I started to howl...and then cry.

Also, every time I came home, as soon as I came up the sidewalk, I would hear them howling a joyful greeting, in the living room.

No words of wisdom for you, Salamander.  So sorry.

We just go on.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:15 am »
Mine aren't terribly barky but they do communicate effectively. They also learn and understand my actions pretty effectively.

When I put the lanyard with my key card around my neck they know I'm planning to leave them alone. They figured that out within a week.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 11:57:32 am »

You'll find another and love him or her just as much even though its different.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »
Dogs are as smart as they need to be.  Baxie knows my morning routine with his eyes closed;  he stays upstairs while I change his water and do the dishes, but when I jingle my keys he races downstairs, knowing it's time for his walk. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:05:10 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »

When you are looking, let him pick you. It makes a difference.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 02:50:17 pm »

Bubby sounds just like my Milton.

I can only imagine how you feel right now - but my turn'll come in a few years, unfortunately.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:34 pm »

You won't Sal.
Chico, Max, Windy, Charlie, CharlieBrown (Brown), Moses, and Chewy. All different, every one.

And every one tore my heart to pieces when they went (all but Chewy who is still here)
Every one, irreplaceable, but somehow 'replaced' by the next... Within two or three weeks...

Seems to me, the thing that starts the healing is to get another one. No dog will ever fill that hole in your heart the same way... But it will fill the hole.

And it hurts so damn bad that you swear  you'll never get that attached to anything again. But then that new pup will weasel in there, and start putting you back together. The only thing to sooth the loss of a dog, is another dog.  :shrug:

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »

You won't.  But love for and from another can provide immense healing.

I took me a couple years to allow another dog after loosing both Greyhounds to bone cancer, one year apart.  I hope you don't wait that long.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Salamander

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »
I've been kinda quiet since I posted that.

Ruminating and all that.

But I have a deposit on a pup and will be going to get him in 2 or 3 weeks.

I wish I could have let a pup choose me but the place is just too far away to be traveling to, more often than absolutely necessary.

The kennel people know what I need the dog to be and out of 5 pups, they recommended one for me.

After all this time [my God, has he been gone a month already??] you'd think I'd be overjoyed and excited to be getting a pup.

But instead, I cried.

It was yet another thing that made Bubby's death 'more real'.

If I'm about to put another dog in his place on the sofa, he really isn't ever coming back and this is not a very long, very bad dream.

An awful lot of conflicting emotions.

Thank you ALL for sharing your own heart-dog stories.

It makes me feel less crazy, to know others love their dogs "too much", too.

I almost forgot, but here is the new little guy [I have *no* idea how to resize this ginormous image, sorry]

<Pic resized>

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:55:54 pm by Mod2 »
Ezekiel Has A Tiger...

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »
My dog's barks are all pretty much the same, its the body language that I understand.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 03:56:54 pm »
I've been kinda quiet since I posted that.

Ruminating and all that.

But I have a deposit on a pup and will be going to get him in 2 or 3 weeks.

I wish I could have let a pup choose me but the place is just too far away to be traveling to, more often than absolutely necessary.

The kennel people know what I need the dog to be and out of 5 pups, they recommended one for me.

After all this time [my God, has he been gone a month already??] you'd think I'd be overjoyed and excited to be getting a pup.

But instead, I cried.

It was yet another thing that made Bubby's death 'more real'.

If I'm about to put another dog in his place on the sofa, he really isn't ever coming back and this is not a very long, very bad dream.

An awful lot of conflicting emotions.

Thank you ALL for sharing your own heart-dog stories.

It makes me feel less crazy, to know others love their dogs "too much", too.

I almost forgot, but here is the new little guy [I have *no* idea how to resize this ginormous image, sorry]

<Pic resized>

@Salamander, he's beautiful!  Look at those big feet.  Congratulations.

Offline Salamander

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 04:01:13 pm »
Many thanks to "Mod2" for shrinking that thing!

:)

Yeah, he's a cutie.

He'll grow into those feet.

/scary thought

:D
Ezekiel Has A Tiger...