Author Topic: Trump’s ‘Principled Realism’ Is Not Very Realistic about Islam  (Read 519 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The principal fiction in the president’s speech in Saudi Arabia was the claim that we share ‘common values’ with the sharia society.
By Andrew C. McCarthy
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447857/trump-saudi-arabia-speech-islamic-terrorism-sharia

So for what exactly is the “extreme vetting” going to vet?

That was the question I could not shake from my mind while listening to President Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia on Sunday
to dozens of Sunni Islamic leaders and a global television audience.

There were certainly some positives in the president’s rhetoric. Trump did not cite American policy or “arrogance” as a contributory
cause of jihadist savagery, as President Obama was wont to do. He was less delusional about the splendor of Islam than were
Obama and President George W. Bush. Gone were absurd inflations of Islam’s historical achievements and place in the American
fabric; gone were allusions to the “religion of peace and love.” In their place was an acknowledgment that Islam is besieged by
a “crisis” of terror that is engulfing the world, a crisis that is ideological in nature and that only Muslims themselves can solve.

All true. Nevertheless, the theme that came through the speech is that terrorism is something that happens to Islam, rather than
something that happens because of Islam. That is simply not the case, even though it is true, as Trump asserted, that the vast
majority of those killed by Muslim terrorists are themselves Muslims.

There is thus a good deal that is not real about “Principled Realism,” Trump’s name for what he heralds as a new American strategy
— “new approaches informed by experience and judgment,” a “discarding” of strategies “that have not worked.”

The principal fiction in “principled realism” is that we share “common values” with Sunni Arab sharia societies. That is problematic
because these purported “common values” — in conjunction with “shared interests” — are said to be the roots of Trump’s approach.

The president stressed that during his first overseas trip as president, he would be “visiting many of the holiest places in the three
Abrahamic faiths.” The irony was palpable, at least to some of us. Trump is not visiting the holiest places of Islam.

Yes, upon departing Saudi Arabia, he headed to Israel where he prayed at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. In the offing is a jaunt to
Rome, to the Vatican for an audience with Pope Francis. But for all the treacle about “why I chose to make my first foreign visit a trip
to the heart of the Muslim world, to the nation [Saudi Arabia] that serves as custodian of the two holiest sites in the Islamic faith,”
Trump sidestepped the fact that he is not welcome in those two sites, Mecca and Medina.

Why? Because the president is a non-Muslim. Non-Muslims are not allowed to step their infidel feet in Islam’s sacred cities . . .

. . . In a passage that could as easily have been spoken by President Bush, and probably even by President Obama, President Trump
asserted:

This is not a battle between different faiths, different sects, or different civilizations. This is a
battle between barbaric criminals who seek to obliterate human life, and decent people of all
religions who seek to protect it. This is a battle between Good and Evil [capitalization in White
House-issued text].

So we’re back to the question of whether Islam has anything to do with Islamist (or Islamic) terrorism.

I’ll take it from the Saudi perspective. Let’s say, as the president does, that we are truly engaged in a battle between good and
evil. When you read the State Department’s guidance regarding travel to Saudi Arabia — guidance that is necessary because of
the way the Saudi government treats non-Muslims, women, apostates, and homosexuals — do you suppose the Saudis and their
Sunni confederates see the United States as the “good” or the “evil” side?

President Trump is banking on the former. I’m not.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

Another Trump fan getting disappointed it sounds like