Author Topic: No fruit juice for kids under 1, pediatricians advise  (Read 1256 times)

Silver Pines

No fruit juice for kids under 1, pediatricians advise
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:29:10 pm »
No fruit juice for kids under 1, pediatricians advise

By Susan Scutti
April 22, 2017

(CNN)Children should not be given fruit juice before they are 1 year old unless it's advised by a doctor, according to new guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics, published Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

The group had previously advised parents to wait to offer juice until a child reached 6 months old but decided to make the change based on rising rates of obesity and concerns about tooth cavities.

"We couldn't really see any reason why juice was still part of the potential recommendation for 6- to 12-month-old kids," said Dr. Steven A. Abrams, chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at the Dell Medical School at the University of Texas, and co-author of the policy statement. "We recommend breastfeeding or formula in that age group, and there really isn't any need or beneficial role for juice, so we kind of made that adjustment."

Read more at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/health/fruit-juice-kids-recommendation/index.html?sr=twCNN052217fruit-juice-kids-recommendation1142AMVODtopLink&linkId=37863484

Wingnut

Re: No fruit juice for kids under 1, pediatricians advise
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »
Next thing you know these quacks will tell us giving them a little nip every now and then is bad for them.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »
Next thing you know these quacks will tell us giving them a little nip every now and then is bad for them.

Next I imagine they will insist that children avoid any gluten of any kind.  Any carbs and any meat of any kind.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:54:04 pm »
I don't know, you guys...i remember reading a story about a study done with a group of nurses.  The more orange juice they drank, the more likely they were to develop diabetes. There's a reason they give it to diabetics to get their blood sugar back up.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:24:36 am »
I have seen lots of children with mouths full of rotten teeth.

Foods and Drinks That Can Cause Tooth Decay in Children

The Culprit: Juice in a Sippy Cup

Juice is a darling of the sippy-cup set, but serving it up sippy-style is a recipe for cavities. Because most sippies, like bottles, release liquids slowly, there’s more time for that juice (which is sky high in tooth-damaging sugar, even if there’s no sugar added) to pool in the mouth. Round-the-clock sipping adds to the mayhem, giving bacteria all the time they need to break down tooth enamel and trigger decay.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/foods-and-drinks-that-can-cause-tooth-decay-in-children.aspx

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:31:10 am »
Well, what are they supposed to wash down the steak and spuds with? Seriously, all the kids and grands were on 'real food' between 9 months and 1 year (steak finely diced). Formula just wasn't cutting it. They'd puke before they 'ate' enough to satisfy them, but finely chopped food worked. Never obese, no diabetes, energetic, and sound teeth. Get real juice and not flavored drinks which contain a lot of sugar. YMMV, but that's what worked for us.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:47 am »
Well, what are they supposed to wash down the steak and spuds with? Seriously, all the kids and grands were on 'real food' between 9 months and 1 year (steak finely diced). Formula just wasn't cutting it. They'd puke before they 'ate' enough to satisfy them, but finely chopped food worked. Never obese, no diabetes, energetic, and sound teeth. Get real juice and not flavored drinks which contain a lot of sugar. YMMV, but that's what worked for us.

@Smokin Joe

For quite a while, doctors have recommended that parents dilute juice with some water if they do give it to kids.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:18:53 am »
@Smokin Joe

Forgot to say, that's the problem---juice does contain a lot of sugar, and it's concentrated.  Fructose will spike your blood sugar faster than a candy bar;  the candy contains fat, which slows the rise.

My mother was diabetic.  Her doctor told her to limit fruit in her diet, but she fell into the habit of eating white grapes, which were sticky with fruit sugar.  Grape juice would have been even worse, as the sugar is concentrated.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
I give my little guy coconut water.  It is slightly sweet, but as compared to say apple juice is just 9 grams of sugar versus 29 grams of sugar per cup, plus has some naturally occurring electrolytes like potassium.  Once in a while I will do a 50/50 mix of a sweeter fruit punch and coconut water.  But coconut water, well water and raw milk are the usual drinks for all of us here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:54 pm »
Yes, otherwise they don't learn to like drinking water, which in central Texas is a bad thing. 

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:03 pm »
The following is a PSA courtesy of Moi.  Learn it Love it Live it.

Dump the juice and go cola.  The earlier the better.