Author Topic: Donald Trump drops out of Saudi Arabia event due to 'exhaustion' [plus video]  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Suppressed

Donald Trump drops out of Saudi Arabia event due to 'exhaustion'
President sent his daughter in his place to youth forum on combating
Rachael Revesz | @RachaelRevesz | 5 hours ago
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-exhausted-skipped-saudi-arabia-forum-social-media-sends-ivanka-trump-israel-a7748546.html

Donald Trump was “exhausted” during his first trip overseas as President and asked his daughter to attend a scheduled event in his place.

Ivanka Trump spoke at the “tweeps” youth forum in Riyadh, an event to discuss combating extremism on social media, instead of her father after a long day for the President of meetings, conferences and speeches.

Mr Trump abruptly skipped the event on the second day of his trip in Saudi Arabia and the day before he was due to meet with Israeli leaders to negotiate a peace process with Palestine.

A White House official was asked by reporters why Mr Trump had deviated from his prepared speech earlier that day to Muslim leaders about fighting Islamist terrorism.

“Just an exhausted guy,” she replied.

It was the second time in a week that the 35-year-old had stepped in to replace the President, after leading a White House meeting on human trafficking with members of Congress while her father was giving a commencement address for the US Coast Guard Academy.

Over the weekend, Mr Trump received the highest civilian honour in Saudi Arabia and bowed while he received it. His daughter and wife, Ivanka and Melania Trump, did not wear headscarves during the trip. He previously attacked former President Barack Obama for similar displays.

He also attacked his former rival for the White House, Hillary Clinton, for her "lack of stamina" when footage captured her being assisted into a car after a lengthy 9/11 memorial ceremony during a hot day in New York.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-exhausted-skipped-saudi-arabia-forum-social-media-sends-ivanka-trump-israel-a7748546.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Probably needed the time to check on one of his hotels.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

The Independent has to insert its left-wing snark.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Probably normal to pick and choose events on tours like this. Everyone has to prioritize.

Oceander

Probably normal to pick and choose events on tours like this. Everyone has to prioritize.

Wouldn't that have been done ahead and if time to avoid disruption?

Offline r9etb

Not at all normal for POTUS to schedule an event and then cancel at the last minute.  Those trips are (or should be) planned in great detail beforehand -- the picking and choosing should have been done a long time ago.

This sounds like a combination of poor staff work, and Trump probably underestimating the physical toll exacted by a trip like this.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Not at all normal for POTUS to schedule an event and then cancel at the last minute.  Those trips are (or should be) planned in great detail beforehand -- the picking and choosing should have been done a long time ago.

This sounds like a combination of poor staff work, and Trump probably underestimating the physical toll exacted by a trip like this.

Trump has been flying around the world on business deals.  I'm sure he knew what to expect.    He probably just got tired and had to prioritize.   Theres been a lot of stressors lately and that will get you.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

Trump has been flying around the world on business deals.  I'm sure he knew what to expect.

I'm betting he thought he knew what to expect.  But I'm also betting that state visits by POTUS are a lot more draining than any business trip -- he's still got to do a lot of the day-to-day president stuff, in addition to having his time used up in scheduled events.

There's a reason why presidents' hair turns grey so quickly.  (No idea if the same applies to dyed toupee combovers....)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Wouldn't that have been done ahead and if time to avoid disruption?

Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. With all the cronyism, corruption, broken promises, etc, this seems like static. :)

Offline Suppressed

Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. With all the cronyism, corruption, broken promises, etc, this seems like static. :)

Yes, Vice President Ivanka is right there, filling in each time, so there's nothing to worry about.
+++++++++

geronl

No big deal, he's freaking old and tubby

geronl

Yes, Vice President Ivanka is right there, filling in each time, so there's nothing to worry about.

I wonder what kind of social media "extremism" the Saudi's focused on, was it pro-Israel comments?