Author Topic: Northwestern President Again Denounces “Absolute” Free Speech Values And Calls For Some Offensive Speech To Be Treated As Assault  (Read 756 times)

rangerrebew

Northwestern President Again Denounces “Absolute” Free Speech Values And Calls For Some Offensive Speech To Be Treated As Assault
1, May 22, 2017 jonathanturley Academics, Bizarre, Constitutional Law   

I have previously criticized Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro for his lack of support for free speech on campus.  Unlike the University of Chicago across town, Schapiro has been leading the calls for limiting speech deemed to be a “microaggression” or offensive.  (For full disclosure, I am a graduate of both Northwestern and Chicago).  His lack of commitment to free speech has made him popular with some groups while alarming free speech advocates.  That concern was heightened this week when Schapiro defended his efforts to give protected “safe spaces” on campus and said that some offensive speech should be considered a form of “assault.”  The comments further distinguish Schapiro was one of the most hostile university presidents toward free speech principles in the country.   His pandering to those demanding speech codes and regulations should be an embarrassment for the university, which remains one of the world’s premiere academic institutions.  He has taught his students well.  Soon after the publication of his latest remarks, student groups shutdown a speaker and a class on immigration.  It appears that even classes must now adhere to the mob rule at Northwestern.

https://jonathanturley.org/2017/05/22/northwestern-president-again-denounces-absolute-free-speech-values-and-calls-for-some-offensive-speech-to-be-treated-as-assault/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:04:59 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I feel very offended and assaulted by President Shapiro's speech. Of course I'm a second class citizen at the bottom of the liberal caste system, so my grievances will be ignored.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

Wingnut

Excuse me,while i  practice some microaggression.  Morton Schapiro is a bloody wanker.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum