Author Topic: Trophy hunter dies after wounded elephant crushes him in Zimbabwe  (Read 3154 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trophy hunter dies after wounded elephant crushes him in Zimbabwe
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 12:16:24 am »
It is population management, though. "Sound practice" to keep the numbers limited to a range the area can theoretically support. More than that and the animal/human problems increase, and that means people will kill off the animals, whether they threaten villages or destroy crops. It is a (and I hate the word, as used lately) sustainable balance, one which preserves an ecosystem. Unfortunately that means the area must be patrolled for poachers and the animals tracked to understand their habits. That takes money, and the trade off is that the herd gets trimmed in sanctioned hunts which have very expensive permit fees which support the management of game and non-game species alike. The hunter gets the trophy, the village gets the meat.
Trophy hunters of means have a lawful and regulated opportunity to sate their wishes, which keeps them from going to the poachers.

We have something similar, here, in that when the herd gets large enough, one, and just one bighorn permit is auctioned off in this state, open to anyone, anywhere. that one ram permit (no guarantees) can bring in $50,000 which goes toward game management in the state.
The permits for major game in Africa can run from mid five figures and up, a fortune in Africa.
Like it or not, it is what works best, under the circumstances.

I'm no fan of trophy hunting, either, personally. When other guys were out hunting for a deer with big antlers, I was looking for a large, fat, spike buck who'd fill the larder. I'd hear them whine about 'the one that got away', and go home and eat venison.

@Smokin Joe

I'm going black bear hunting this fall.  I full intend to bring the meat home and a nice bear skin to hang on the wall.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:53 am »
@Smokin Joe

Joe, it might be a lot of things, but, like I said, my love for these animals goes way back to my early childhood.  I'm not going to suddenly now say, "Yay for killing leopard and elephants!"  Not going to happen.

Is it emotional?  Hell yes, it is.  We all have our emotional hot buttons, and this is one of mine.
Okay, that's honest and I can see that. Just explaining this is probably as good as it will get. I won't go into predator overpopulation/die-off cycles beyond mentioning them, and I will respect your feelings.
As I said, I'm not a trophy hunter either, and wouldn't be even if I could afford it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:29 am »
@Smokin Joe

I'm going black bear hunting this fall.  I full intend to bring the meat home and a nice bear skin to hang on the wall.
Nothing gets wasted. That respects the critter, imho.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:33 am »
Okay, that's honest and I can see that. Just explaining this is probably as good as it will get. I won't go into predator overpopulation/die-off cycles beyond mentioning them, and I will respect your feelings.
As I said, I'm not a trophy hunter either, and wouldn't be even if I could afford it.

@Smokin Joe

I appreciate you respecting my opinion.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 01:12:52 am »
@Smokin Joe

I appreciate you respecting my opinion.
You're welcome! We won't always completely agree about everything, anyway.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 12:39:05 pm »

Absolutely.  Not much point in the discussion of anything posted is followed only by "yeah, me too".
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »
Absolutely.  Not much point in the discussion of anything posted is followed only by "yeah, me too".

Drives me nuts, that.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Silver Pines

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 01:15:12 pm »

@Smokin Joe
@thackney

Course nor.  We don't even agree with our spouses all the time.  The issue is how we handle the disagreement.

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »
Course nor.  We don't even agree with our spouses all the time.  The issue is how we handle the disagreement.

In hindsight, I don't always agree with myself...

But I try to not let that grow into an active argument.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
In hindsight, I don't always agree with myself...

But I try to not let that grow into an active argument.

@thackney

000hehehehe

Offline Applewood

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:35 pm »
In many places in Africa the only source of money to protect the animals comes from hunters.  Without it the parks would disappear and the poachers would have free reign.

Elephants ARE disappearing and it's because of poachers.  Poaching goes unchecked in that part of the world.