Author Topic: More retirees living like the 'Golden Girls'  (Read 979 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
More retirees living like the 'Golden Girls'
« on: May 22, 2017, 08:29:21 am »

Older single women aren't looking for love. They're looking for a roommate.

Blessed with longer life expectancy, but often with less money in the bank, female retirees are turning to each other as a way to make ends meet and find companionship.

Airbnb, the online marketplace for housing rentals, says the 60 and older crowd is its fastest growing demographic — with the number of hosts more than doubling in the last year. The majority of them — about 64 percent — are women.

"What it comes down to is women retire with two-thirds the money as men, and women live 5 to 8 years longer," said Sallie Krawcheck, founder of Ellevest, an online advisor for women.

Krawcheck calls the retirement savings crisis a woman's crisis.

"It is the woman who at the end of her life, is left trying to figure out how much money she can spend so she doesn't run out before she dies," she said.

While finances plays a role, for women like Mariam Ephraim, 69, it came down to no longer wanting to live alone.

More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/20/the-golden-girls-of-retirement-are-a-reality-for-these-people.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: More retirees living like the 'Golden Girls'
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »
If it helps stave off loneliness and helps everyone involved keep their expenses down, why not?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:20:37 pm »
If it helps stave off loneliness and helps everyone involved keep their expenses down, why not?

There is also something to be said for multi generational homes if there is room.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »

I agree, it makes a lot of sense.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »

That's what TBR is for. ;-)

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:12:08 pm »

That's what TBR is for. ;-)

The Bed Room? :tongue2:

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
The Bed Room? :tongue2:

Don't bring your Bedroom habits into this discussion @Wingnut someone already woke up the Mods this morning.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 04:41:54 pm »
   Don't bring your Bedroom habits into this discussion @Wingnut someone already woke up the Mods this morning.

@corbe  I have a feeling

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:57 am »
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would wager many of these single women who are retiring and never married are likely well off. They are likely the types of woman who in the feminist spirit shunned men and devoted their lives to making money. They probably had higher paying jobs/careers than many woman who married and had children. The latter are likely to have earned less money over their lives for obviously reasons as dropping out of the work force to have children and planning their work careers after their children were out of the house.
This idea that feminist, professional women only made two thirds of what men made is a crock. Living single all their lives and not having to spend money on raising children they should have had a lot of dough saved.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »
@goatprairie

Well, I'm a retired female baby boomer and I see things a bit differently.  My generation was caught between two worlds.  Initially, women were pressured into getting married.  That was the prize -- to find a husband to support the family so you would never have to work.   Not that many women went to college, but if they did, it was only to find a husband.  Careers for women were limited to nurse, teacher or secretary.    Actually, years ago, many companies would not hire a secretary if she was married or even engaged.  The thinking was the company would be wasting resources on this employee only to have her quit to start a family. 

Things changed with women's lib, but by then most women of my generation were either married or if not, stuck in one of the aforementioned careers with little opportunity for advancement.  Easy to say a woman could have gone back to college to learn a more lucrative career, but for many, it was too late.  In my case, my job didn't permit me to go to night school.   I worked for litigation attorneys, and particularly during trials, I worked 20 hours a day, 7 days a week.  When was I going back to school? 

And trust me, single career women aren't loaded because they don't have children to care for.  I'd say they might have it worse simply because they are managing on one income.  They don't have a husband's earnings to rely on.  I was lucky I didn't marry.  It's really hard for those women who married, then were divorced, the ex took off, and the women were stuck supporting themselves and their children.  I know such a woman. Had to raise her 5 kids alone because one day, her husband decided he didn't want to be married and raise his kids anymore.  She worked like a dog all her life.  The kids are grown and on their own, but now, at 73, she really doesn't have that much to live on.  So yes, she has a roommate. 

Anyway, I wouldn't generalize about women at retirement age living with others to meet expenses.  I would, however, urge today's women --married or single --  to get themselves into a lucrative career, then save and invest wisely.  Don't think you are always going to have a husband to provide for you.  You never know what the future will bring.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »
@goatprairie

Well, I'm a retired female baby boomer and I see things a bit differently.  My generation was caught between two worlds.  Initially, women were pressured into getting married.  That was the prize -- to find a husband to support the family so you would never have to work.   Not that many women went to college, but if they did, it was only to find a husband.  Careers for women were limited to nurse, teacher or secretary.    Actually, years ago, many companies would not hire a secretary if she was married or even engaged.  The thinking was the company would be wasting resources on this employee only to have her quit to start a family. 

Things changed with women's lib, but by then most women of my generation were either married or if not, stuck in one of the aforementioned careers with little opportunity for advancement.  Easy to say a woman could have gone back to college to learn a more lucrative career, but for many, it was too late.  In my case, my job didn't permit me to go to night school.   I worked for litigation attorneys, and particularly during trials, I worked 20 hours a day, 7 days a week.  When was I going back to school? 

And trust me, single career women aren't loaded because they don't have children to care for.  I'd say they might have it worse simply because they are managing on one income.  They don't have a husband's earnings to rely on.  I was lucky I didn't marry.  It's really hard for those women who married, then were divorced, the ex took off, and the women were stuck supporting themselves and their children.  I know such a woman. Had to raise her 5 kids alone because one day, her husband decided he didn't want to be married and raise his kids anymore.  She worked like a dog all her life.  The kids are grown and on their own, but now, at 73, she really doesn't have that much to live on.  So yes, she has a roommate. 

Anyway, I wouldn't generalize about women at retirement age living with others to meet expenses.  I would, however, urge today's women --married or single --  to get themselves into a lucrative career, then save and invest wisely.  Don't think you are always going to have a husband to provide for you.  You never know what the future will bring.

Words of wisdom.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »
There is also something to be said for multi generational homes if there is room.

... and if everyone will agree to it.  When we built our current house we wanted to build a mother-in-law suite for my husband's mom, but she wanted no part of it.  I would have loved to have her with us; I think it would have been a wonderful thing for both her and our kids.  There would definitely have been some rough edges to work through, but I'm convinced that all our lives would have been richer for it.  (And I'm not talking about money, either.)

I still ask her every time we go to visit whether she's ready to move in with us yet.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 01:50:00 pm »
Good post. It adds some perspective to the usual crap comments about Boomers, Millenials...

@goatprairie

I'm 71, male and witnessed the sort of things you mention. Talented females enjoyed limited career opportunities.

That "caught between two worlds" from a male viewpoint: Women of that age group often had their heads in the new ways and their hearts in the old. Attempting to appeal to the former was futile.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »
... and if everyone will agree to it.  When we built our current house we wanted to build a mother-in-law suite for my husband's mom, but she wanted no part of it.  I would have loved to have her with us; I think it would have been a wonderful thing for both her and our kids.  There would definitely have been some rough edges to work through, but I'm convinced that all our lives would have been richer for it.  (And I'm not talking about money, either.)

I still ask her every time we go to visit whether she's ready to move in with us yet.

It was once a pretty common way to live. The family lived and worked together with even the youngest and most elderly being useful and productive. Having grown up in a very small town with a set of grandparents and set of great grandparents (not to mention aunts uncles and cousins) all within a few hundred yards, I know there is a great benefit to family being close like that. Children get the benefit of passed down wisdom and a strong sense of family history. The elderly get a lot of helping hands in their declining years. My grandparents and great grandparents were all able to breathe their last in their own beds.

In my family we're trying to keep that sense of family alive. My cousin took over my grandmother's place when she died in January of last year and my sister lived just a few blocks away. My other cousin and his family just moved into my mom's place kitty corner behind me.