Author Topic: Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement  (Read 1572 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
Updated 3:15 pm, Sunday, May 21, 2017

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Dozens of graduates and family members silently stood and walked out Sunday as Vice President Mike Pence began his address at Notre Dame's commencement ceremony.

Pence, the former governor of Indiana, was invited to speak after Notre Dame students and faculty protested the prospect of President Donald Trump being invited to become the seventh U.S. president to give the commencement address.

more
http://www.sfgate.com/news/education/article/Applause-protests-greet-Pence-at-Notre-Dame-11162278.php
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Graduates walk out on Pence at Notre Dame commencement
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:14:30 am »
The families too.  Well, I guess we know where these kids get their manners from. 

Too bad ND can't somehow nullify their degrees.

Offline Gideon300

• Equal Opportunity Bigot
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:37 am »
Updated 3:15 pm, Sunday, May 21, 2017

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Dozens of graduates and family members silently stood and walked out Sunday as Vice President Mike Pence began his address at Notre Dame's commencement ceremony.

Pence, the former governor of Indiana, was invited to speak after Notre Dame students and faculty protested the prospect of President Donald Trump being invited to become the seventh U.S. president to give the commencement address.

more
http://www.sfgate.com/news/education/article/Applause-protests-greet-Pence-at-Notre-Dame-11162278.php

I don't know why Pence bothered to go.  After the way this administration has been berated and insulted by "academic institutions" across the country, It would be hard to be as much as civil to them, but he did seem to be having an enjoyable time.  Shows some major grace under fire. 

Viewing the photos, it would appear there's a real dearth of white males at Notre Dame.  Even the women are mostly minorities, but assuredly the photos are a political statement, especially photo #1, Ixtlaly Estrada, a name that screams of southern Mexico origin.  I'm very familiar with Aztec-based names like Xiomara and Xochitl, but Ixtlaly is a new one for me. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:45 am »
How will the current crop of college grads ever cope with the real world? :shrug:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline anubias

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:25:29 am »
Those kids disgraced themselves.

Offline verga

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
Gee I hope the Registrar's office doesn't their graduation paperwork, that would be a real shame (/SARC)
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:41 pm »
How will the current crop of college grads ever cope with the real world? :shrug:
They will have to learn how to say:  "Would you like fries with that?"

I'm growing tired of the antics of the kiss-ass generation or better named, the pu$$y generation.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:44:07 pm by Wingnut »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:49:58 pm »

I'm growing tired of the antics of the kiss-ass generation or better named, the pu$$y generation.

@Wingnut

Are you also tired of the people who raised & educated them?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 12:52:14 pm »

@austingirl
My son just graduated and on his way to med school.  He's a damn fine young man, better then I am.

Its not the generation any more than your & my generation is entirely made up of winners.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:19 pm »
Come on, Wingnut. The kiosks are going to do that in a few years. There are plenty of government-funded jobs in social work...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »
On topic, anyway— it always amuses me how much the left absolutely hates Mike Pence because he dared sign a bill protecting the Sweet Cakes and Arlene's Flowers of the world, even though he chickened out of it after George Takei rallied his minions to attack the state for it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »
"Dozens" huh?

Whatever.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 01:15:51 pm »
Come on, Wingnut. The kiosks are going to do that in a few years. There are plenty of government-funded jobs in social work...

My bad.  That and all those high salaried jobs in Womens and Gender Studies, Demystifying the Hipster Culture, EcoFeminism and the ever popular Black Studies.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 01:19:16 pm »
Anyone here willing to admit that they would have enjoyed the moment  if a large group of students turned their back on or walked out during an Obama speech?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 02:35:45 pm »
@austingirl
My son just graduated and on his way to med school.  He's a damn fine young man, better then I am.

Its not the generation any more than your & my generation is entirely made up of winners.

Congratulations to your son.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 03:05:35 pm »

They won't.

They are totally unequipped to think for themselves, or to understand any POV other than their own.

They have been made intellectually and emotionally impotent by their coddling.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »
So you are suggesting it was their outside environment rather than their parents who inculcated their world view?
Look in the mirror to see who fell down on the job.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »
Anyone here willing to admit that they would have enjoyed the moment  if a large group of students turned their back on or walked out during an Obama speech?
I've pondered that, and tend to think not. This wasn't a Pence event, it was an event for the graduates and their families. The walkout was disruptive and disrespectful of all of them, not just the VP. So, no, I wouldn't have celebrated a similar act of disrespect at an Obama commencement speech.

Of course, anyone walking out on Obama would have been branded a racist and probably shoved around by security, if not arrested. Heil Barry! 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »
The families too.  Well, I guess we know where these kids get their manners from. 

Too bad ND can't somehow nullify their degrees.

for what? Not listening to one of the speeches? It said they did it silently, they didn't disrupt anything if that's true.

Offline Gideon300

• Equal Opportunity Bigot
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 08:14:10 pm »

Let me be the first to admit that, yes, I probably would have enjoyed it enough to pop a cold Barena and smile from ear to ear. realizing Obama was the president, regardless of my feelings of his legitimacy, and knowing it's not ethical, moral or remotely "nice" to say so, but, in the interest of honesty in answering your question, and being true to myself, yes, I think I would.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:26 pm »

This actually sounded like a small group

Offline verga

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
Let me be the first to admit that, yes, I probably would have enjoyed it enough to pop a cold Barena and smile from ear to ear. realizing Obama was the president, regardless of my feelings of his legitimacy, and knowing it's not ethical, moral or remotely "nice" to say so, but, in the interest of honesty in answering your question, and being true to myself, yes, I think I would.
@Rivergirl @Gideon300 I must also admit that I would have taken a certain amount of pleasure in watching that as well.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.