Author Topic: Researcher uses math to investigate possibility of time travel  (Read 716 times)

rangerrebew

Researcher uses math to investigate possibility of time travel
April 27, 2017

After some serious number crunching, a UBC researcher has come up with a mathematical model for a viable time machine.

Ben Tippett, a mathematics and physics instructor at UBC's Okanagan campus, recently published a study about the feasibility of time travel. Tippett, whose field of expertise is Einstein's theory of general relativity, studies black holes and science fiction when he's not teaching. Using math and physics, he has created a formula that describes a method for time travel.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-04-math-possibility.html#jCp

Offline DB

Re: Researcher uses math to investigate possibility of time travel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:54 am »
TARDIS... Really...

I tend to believe traveling back in time is impossible. If it were possible it would be done and the temptation/consequences of being able to change the past would likely result in rampant paradoxes that would be wildly out of control quickly.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:41:00 am »
TARDIS... Really...

I tend to believe traveling back in time is impossible. If it were possible it would be done and the temptation/consequences of being able to change the past would likely result in rampant paradoxes that would be wildly out of control quickly.

Like the "I'm my own grandpa", paradox?

There are a few periods I'd love to live in. Just they had no indoor plumbing. I never felt I belonged in this period, but I love being able to use an. Indoor toilet 🚽
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gideon300

• Equal Opportunity Bigot
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:06:54 am »

Like the "I'm my own grandpa", paradox?

There are a few periods I'd love to live in. Just they had no indoor plumbing. I never felt I belonged in this period, but I love being able to use an. Indoor toilet 🚽

I think time "travel" to the past is possible, but only as an observer, not a participant.  It would be like watching a holographic movie, but with no ability to interact.  The future, I'm not so sure.  There's nothing a anchor onto.

And indoor plumbing?  Don't sell the past so short.  There's places even today that have no indoor plumbing, while the ancient Mayas of Copán had indoor running water that could be turned on or off at will, bathtub/spas, and a sewage flushing system.  And if I've read my history correctly, I believe the Romans has some very good plumbing systems.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:56:26 am »
It would seem stasis would be much more practical/likely than actual time travel forward. And to the person in stasis for some long period, what's the difference?