Author Topic: Antibody for fighting cancer emerges  (Read 543 times)

rangerrebew

Antibody for fighting cancer emerges
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:49:58 am »
Antibody for fighting cancer emerges
May 19, 2017

While studying the underpinnings of multiple sclerosis, investigators at Brigham and Women's Hospital came across important clues for how to treat a very different disease: cancer. In a paper published in Science Immunology, a group of researchers led by neurologist Howard Weiner, MD, describe an antibody that can precisely target regulatory T cells which in turn unleashes the immune system to kill cancer cells. The team reports that the antibody decreased tumor growth in models of melanoma, glioblastoma and colorectal carcinoma, making it an attractive candidate for cancer immunotherapy.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05-antibody-cancer-emerges.html#jCp

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Antibody for fighting cancer emerges
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:49:25 am »
Isn't this how most zombie movies start.

Sounds exciting tho
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:54:11 am »
Yep, and yes it does sound exciting (using the immune system to fight cancer, not so much the zombie apocalypse thing, even though that would probably not have a dull moment...)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:35:39 pm »
Wow -- that would be amazing if it pans out as hoped.  Imagine a cancer treatment that doesn't revolve around pumping deadly chemicals into the body. 

And I'm going to go with an X-men scenario instead of a zombie apocalypse.  Less horrifying.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra