Author Topic: One of These Three Light Attack Planes Could Help Replace the A-10  (Read 1169 times)

rangerrebew

One of These Three Light Attack Planes Could Help Replace the A-10

By Kyle Mizokami
May 15, 2017

The Air Force has chosen three aircraft designs to participate in a series of demonstration flights this summer, and one of them could be selected for a new light attack aircraft to serve as a partial replacement for the A-10 Warthog. The Air Force hopes the OA-X program will lead to smaller, lighter airplanes capable of providing air support in low-threat conflicts.

The three planes—the Sierra Nevada/Embraer A-29 Super Tucano, Beechcraft AT-6 Wolverine, and Textron Scorpion—will fly this Summer at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico. The OA-X, or "Observation, Attack, concept," envisions a small, nimble airplane that can carry a large payload of sensors and weapons. Flown by a pilot and copilot/observer, the small plane could carry out strike and close air support missions in support of ground troops.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26515/three-planes-oax-help-replace-the-a-10/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:25:44 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Axeslinger

Re: One of These Three Light Attack Planes Could Help Replace the A-10
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
@rangerrebew

The problem with the A-10 is that it's the USAF that flies it.  They want no part of it because they want no part of the A-10s mission.   The USAF believes that their primary mission is to bomb from high altitude and protect those bombers with fighters.  The closest they want to get to CAS is the AC-130...and they'd probably like to not have THAT mission too because it detracts from their "real" mission.

Give the USMC the mission of CAS and watch how long the A-10 hangs around!
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:24:03 am »
Fighter pilots run the air force.  That's all they know.

Bomber pilots used to which is why up to the Vietnam war the air force didn't have anything for cas.  However they want the budget that goes with cas.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:45:52 pm »
@rangerrebew

The problem with the A-10 is that it's the USAF that flies it.  They want no part of it because they want no part of the A-10s mission.   The USAF believes that their primary mission is to bomb from high altitude and protect those bombers with fighters.  The closest they want to get to CAS is the AC-130...and they'd probably like to not have THAT mission too because it detracts from their "real" mission.

Give the USMC the mission of CAS and watch how long the A-10 hangs around!

Actually, give the army the mission.  The marines have very specific AOs, while the army (which is where most of the A-10 support goes anyway) has much more general AOs.  Revoke the army fixed-wing ban (which as I understand it was just an MOU with the air force anyway), then transfer anything with a designation starting with "A" to the army.  Problem solved!
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 12:26:00 am »
None of the three have the "pucker" factor required for replacing the A-10.   

Offline IndispensableDestiny

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:09:16 am »
Actually, give the army the mission.  The marines have very specific AOs, while the army (which is where most of the A-10 support goes anyway) has much more general AOs.  Revoke the army fixed-wing ban (which as I understand it was just an MOU with the air force anyway), then transfer anything with a designation starting with "A" to the army.  Problem solved!
Fold the Air Force back into the Army.  Problem solved.