Author Topic: Are food allergies overdiagnosed?  (Read 515 times)

rangerrebew

Are food allergies overdiagnosed?
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
Are food allergies overdiagnosed?
Written by Honor Whiteman
Published: Thursday 18 May 2017

The millions of dieters out there will know only too well the struggles of maintaining a healthful food intake. But for people with severe food allergies, food choice depends on more than losing a few pounds. It can be a matter of life or death. In recent years, however, studies have indicated that food allergies are being overdiagnosed and overreported, and that many people may be needlessly avoiding certain foods.

It is estimated that around 15 million children and adults in the U.S. have a food allergy.

There has been a significant rise in the number of people affected by food allergies over the past 20 years.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317540.php
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:07:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: Are food allergies overdiagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:05:08 pm »
I don't know if it's over diagnosed so much as it is so many people claiming allergies when there are none. Some airlines, for example, stopped serving peanuts because people claimed just being near a bag of peanuts made them sick. I doubt it.  I just think there are miserable people in the world determined to make others miserable. 

Gluten, too, has been overworked as an allergy.  For some with certain digestive issues as celiac or Crohn's Disease, consuming gluten can be debilitating.  But being 100 pounds overweight and claiming an allergy to gluten is the cause -- sorry, I don't buy that.