Author Topic: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?  (Read 572 times)

Offline corbe

Can the Republican Party Be Saved?
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:46:00 pm »

By David Thornton  |  May 18, 2017, 09:40am  |  @captainkudzu

In retrospect, the GOP was in trouble as soon as Donald Trump became the frontrunner in the Republican primary. The outsider with no government experience knocked the party on its ear, dispatching with relative ease 16 experienced, longtime party members who many Trump supporters denounced as “RINOs.”

In fact, it was Trump who was the RINO. Trump was a Republican in name only who had frequently changed parties and who didn’t share many of the Republican Party’s core tenets such as free trade, a commitment to cut government spending and to shrink government. Trump ran a nationalist, anti-establishment campaign that focused on immigration, a hot button issue that had historically split the GOP down the middle. Nevertheless, as Trump became the inevitable nominee, Republicans mostly embraced him as “better than Hillary.”

From the moment that Trump won the nomination, the party was in trouble. Even though a large minority argued that Trump was both unelectable and unfit, after he won the primary there was no real chance to find a better candidate. Never Trumpers were proven wrong on the charge of electability, but Trump is proving them right about his fitness to govern.

Once Trump won the nomination, denying it to him would have split the party between the Trump base, many of whom may not have been Republicans before 2016, and, for lack of a better term, the party establishment. Hillary would have cruised to the White House, a price that was too much to pay for many Republicans.

Four months into the Trump Administration, the new president has been rocked by one scandal after another, many of his own making. Trump’s positive, lasting accomplishments, excluding Executive Orders, so far number about one: Neil Gorsuch.

As the scandals get more serious, such as possible obstruction of justice in the Russia investigation and jeopardizing national security by haphazardly sharing classified information, more Republicans will soon be looking to extricate themselves from their marriage of convenience to Donald Trump. The question is whether they can do so without destroying their party.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/can-the-republican-party-be-saved/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
Can it be saved? Sure. 

Should it be saved? Aw hell no.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:48:05 pm »
I hope not.

it needs replaced

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:56:31 pm »

I don't care anymore.

The GOP left me and Conservative principles behind awhile ago but like an abused wife with an adulterous spouse I kept coming back at election time to pleas that they would change and make amends and be faithful this time around.   I hung on with the erroneous belief that it could be 'fixed' from within and the womanizing nature of the GOP to dalliance with the Left cold be changed with voting in the 'right' people.

Instead I watched it continue to charge Left and corrupt everyone I helped put into office.

I finally woke up from the stupor - and left it, for good.

It is just another arm of the Leftist Party Oligarchy to me, and I regard it with the same disdain I do for the Democrat Party.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775