Author Topic: Fracking Crew Shortage May Push Oil's Biggest Bubble to 2018  (Read 2268 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Shale explorers pushing to expand oil production are struggling to find enough fracking crews after thousands of workers were dismissed during the crude rout.

Independent U.S. drillers underspent their first-quarter budgets by as much as $2.5 billion collectively, largely because they couldn’t find enough fracking crews to handle all the planned work, according to Infill Thinking LLC, a research and consulting firm focused on oilfield services and exploration. If the scarcity holds, output increases planned for this summer may get pushed into 2018, creating an unanticipated production bulge with “scary” implications for oil prices, said Joseph Triepke, Infill’s founder.

In some cases, active crews are walking away from jobs they signed up for months ago -- and paying early-termination penalties -- to take higher-paying assignments with other explorers. Workers earn anywhere from $29,000 to $72,000 a year before overtime, depending on the company and the region.

The tight fracking market “means U.S. oil production growth this year will be back-half weighted, and we may not understand the full extent of U.S. production growth until early 2018,” said Triepke, who previously was an analyst at Citadel LLC’s Surveyor Capital unit. “This point is particularly scary if you are rooting for higher oil prices.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-17/fracking-crew-shortage-may-push-oil-s-biggest-bubble-into-2018
My my how things change so quickly.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Fracking Crew Shortage May Push Oil's Biggest Bubble to 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »
My oldest Son(ex NAVY Nuke) worked on the fracking crews. Last year he joined an independent outfit and just recently made manager. He recruits, staffs  and manages fracking and other crews.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:42:28 pm »
My oldest Son(ex NAVY Nuke) worked on the fracking crews. Last year he joined an independent outfit and just recently made manager. He recruits, staffs  and manages fracking and other crews.

Is he seeing as drastic demand for people as this article indicates?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:00:08 pm »
Is he seeing as drastic demand for people as this article indicates?

I'll send him the article and get back to you

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:29:42 pm »
Re my Son:

Sounds about right.  The oil field is in a very unique situation due to the crash in 2014/15. Workers were paid handsome sums to be the best and deal with atrocious schedules and pressure.  Now they have the same pressure to perform from the companies while getting paid substantial amounts less.  They also remember how expendable they were after the crash and realize there is no value in loyalty to employers that rely on them to make billions and write them off as expenses rather than integral parts of the company and valued resources.

@thackney

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »
Re my Son:

Sounds about right.

That you for the insight from one in the midst of the work.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:59:51 pm »
They also remember how expendable they were after the crash and realize there is no value in loyalty to employers that rely on them to make billions and write them off as expenses rather than integral parts of the company and valued resources.
My observation is different after +40 years in o&g.

An industry that survives on the price of the commodity they produce for which they have no control over will always be cyclic.
Expenses must be curtailed in order for the company to survive during the 'downcycles' such as the past couple of years.  There is no other choice for the company in general.

A few companies are so big and have enough stockpiles of cash like an Exxon that survival is less of an issue as they can withstand most downtimes.  Others are private and position themselves quite well like a Hilcorp to 'take it on the chin' during downturns and even reward its employees so they retain them.  http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/11/houston-energy-company-gives-out-100-000-bonuses.html

Some recognize that their best employees are critical once the ramping-up takes place.  My nephew works as an instrumentation technician for a drilling company whose business shrank 90%.  Instead of laying off, they kept a string on him by giving him half time for the past couple of years.  He is now back fulltime and working overtime even in the Permian.

One other thing:  I was laid off after 27 years with one company.  In retrospect, although traumatic, it was the best thing to have ever happened to me from a career standpoint.  It made me really concentrate on what my strengths were and my interests.  When a couple of years later I rolled out back to fulltime after some consultancy work, I had that focus and had the most enjoyable and financially profitable time of my career.

Guess what I am saying is recognize the industry by preparing for badtimes ahead, and make the most usage of those times to profit oneself.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »
My observation is different after +40 years in o&g.

An industry that survives on the price of the commodity they produce for which they have no control over will always be cyclic.
Expenses must be curtailed in order for the company to survive during the 'downcycles' such as the past couple of years.  There is no other choice for the company in general.

A few companies are so big and have enough stockpiles of cash like an Exxon that survival is less of an issue as they can withstand most downtimes.  Others are private and position themselves quite well like a Hilcorp to 'take it on the chin' during downturns and even reward its employees so they retain them.  http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/11/houston-energy-company-gives-out-100-000-bonuses.html

Some recognize that their best employees are critical once the ramping-up takes place.  My nephew works as an instrumentation technician for a drilling company whose business shrank 90%.  Instead of laying off, they kept a string on him by giving him half time for the past couple of years.  He is now back fulltime and working overtime even in the Permian.

One other thing:  I was laid off after 27 years with one company.  In retrospect, although traumatic, it was the best thing to have ever happened to me from a career standpoint.  It made me really concentrate on what my strengths were and my interests.  When a couple of years later I rolled out back to fulltime after some consultancy work, I had that focus and had the most enjoyable and financially profitable time of my career.

Guess what I am saying is recognize the industry by preparing for badtimes ahead, and make the most usage of those times to profit oneself.

That was the experience of my brother who works for Sand Ridge Energy as a production supervisor.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:07:37 pm »
That was the experience of my brother who works for Sand Ridge Energy as a production supervisor.
Sandridge is one company that is turning quickly into a basket case.

Hope he survives well.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:09:17 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 01:17:18 am »
Sandridge is one company that is turning quickly into a basket case.

Hope he survives well.

He thinks there I an outside chance it can make it through this bankruptcy.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 01:18:13 am »
hiring and training more people is the way to end a shortage