Author Topic: Is Puerto Rico’s Economic Collapse A Ploy By Liberals To Permanently Shift The Balance Of Power In Congress?  (Read 824 times)

rangerrebew

Is Puerto Rico’s Economic Collapse A Ploy By Liberals To Permanently Shift The Balance Of Power In Congress?
By Michael Snyder, on May 16th, 2017

Next month, citizens of Puerto Rico are going to vote on statehood, and the absolutely devastating economic collapse that is gripping the island could be enough to push pro-statehood forces over the edge to victory.  Of course Congress has the final say on whether Puerto Rico becomes a state or not, but it is going to be very difficult to deny Puerto Rico’s 3.4 million residents statehood if they strongly insist that they want it.  Needless to say, if Puerto Rico becomes the 51st U.S. state that would greatly benefit the Democrats, because the population of Puerto Rico is very liberal.

Puerto Rico does not get to vote in presidential elections, but they do help select the nominees for both parties.  In 2016, 58,764 votes were cast in the Democratic caucuses held in Puerto Rico, and only 36,660 votes were cast in the Republican primary.  As a state, it is doubtful whether Puerto Rico would send any Republican lawmakers to Washington for decades to come.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/is-puerto-ricos-economic-collapse-a-ploy-by-liberals-to-permanently-shift-the-balance-of-power-in-congress
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:28:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline LMAO

Puerto Rico is just one of many examples of what happens when Progressivism runs into reality
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

geronl

Their economic collapse has been going on for more than a decade.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I would tell PR if they want to be a state, then there are fiscal measures they must adopt first.
The Republic is lost.

geronl

I would tell PR if they want to be a state, then there are fiscal measures they must adopt first.

a whole slew of new taxes and regulations if they choose statehood too

of course raising taxes on manufacturing 10 years ago (they had a budget shortfall because they spend too much) destroyed their tax base as manufacturers left.