Author Topic: First evidence of the multiverse? Scientists think Cold Spot in space could be colliding universes  (Read 1899 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

A curious chilly area of space may have been created when a parallel universe crashed into our own, scientists have suggested, the first evidence that we may be part of a multiverse.

In 2015, astrophysicists discovered a strange barren area of the universe which was much colder than the rest of space, and seemed to be missing 10,000 galaxies.

The ‘Cold Spot’ which is 1.8 billion light-years across, is the largest known structure ever discovered, yet appeared to contain 20 per cent less matter than it should, and has baffled scientists since it was recorded.

But now experts Durham University have come up with a solution which is not only out of this world, but out of this universe.

They believe that a parallel universe crashed into ours, causing a shunting action much like in a traffic accident when cars pile up on the motorway. The impact was so extreme that it pushed energy out of huge area of space, creating the Cold Spot.

Scientists now believe that if our universe ‘ballooned up’ into a vacuum after The Big Bang, then trillions of others could also have formed in the same way, creating a multiverse of other universes beyond our own space-time.

The Cold Spot could be the first evidence of the multiverse.

Professor Tom Shanks in Durham University's Centre for Extragalactic Astronomy, said: “One explanation for the Cold Spot is that it might be the remnant signal of the collision of our Universe and one of the trillions of others.

“If further, more detailed, analysis proves this to be the case then the Cold Spot might be taken as the first evidence for the multiverse – and billions of other universes may exist like our own."

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/17/first-evidence-multiverse-scientists-think-cold-spot-space-could/

Other articles on it - the papers all seemed to be interested, for once:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4513952/Cold-Spot-space-prove-multiverse-theory.html
https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/may/17/multiverse-have-astronomers-found-evidence-of-parallel-universes
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:29:37 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@EC

Do you see the mess on the floor?

That is my brain and other bits. You just blew my mind.

In the best way. Thank you, sir.

I'll never get back to sleep now.

I read that several scientists had theorized we blew Earth up by CERN and entered a parallel universe but I thought it was something for Art Bell or Giorgio.

If it was a parallel universe, wouldn't I be slightly different though? Like Ace/Arnold  Rimmer is slightly different in each universe? 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:42:51 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Depends on which type of multiverse it is - a self contained one or a daughter one of ours. For a self contained one, you probably wouldn't exist at all. For a daughter one, you might be different, you might not. It would depend where the split happened for the particular universe you are in right now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Depends on which type of multiverse it is - a self contained one or a daughter one of ours. For a self contained one, you probably wouldn't exist at all. For a daughter one, you might be different, you might not. It would depend where the split happened for the particular universe you are in right now.

I wish I was taller in the other universe. I'm not greedy. One little inch would be wonderful. I'm scared when I get old and start shrinking, I'll be really small again.

We need more petite (under5 foot two) models and actresses. :) but that's a different thread

But it's nice to think that maybe in some alternate universe I have been married for twenty years, have 2.5 kids, a station wagon, a dog and cat, and a little white cottage with a picket fence.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
"In 2015, astrophysicists discovered a strange barren area of the universe which was much colder than the rest of space."

I discovered the same thing, about two years after I got married.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:17:24 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

rangerrebew

Mysterious 'cold spot' in space could be proof of a parallel universe, scientists say

There might be billions of universes just outside of our own

Andrew Griffin

Thursday 18 May 2017 19:38 BST

A mysterious cold spot in space might be evidence of a parallel universe.

Scientists have long been looking for an explanation for the strange, dark area in the cosmic microwave background – the radiation leftover from the big bang. A range of different explanations have been proposed, but the main one isn't likely to make sense and it could actually be a parallel universe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/parallel-universe-proof-multiverse-cold-spot-cosmic-microwave-background-cmb-a7743216.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:31:30 am by rangerrebew »

geronl

This is all conjecture and speculation as far as I can see.

geronl

another universe doesn't necessarily have to be a different time-line of our universe, it may have nothing like Earth over there.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Good place to store our beer in the future.