Author Topic: The Media Elite Is Indulging Dangerous Fantasies About Removing Trump From Office  (Read 1014 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Media Elite Is Indulging Dangerous Fantasies About Removing Trump From Office

After several days of disturbing revelations about President Trump’s conduct in office, here come the calls for his removal—not from progressives (those have already come, early and often), but from conservatives. Ross Douthat of the New York Times writes in his Wednesday column that Trump should be removed from office, not impeached, using the mechanisms provided by the 25th Amendment to the Constitution.
The Cold War-era amendment allows the removal of the president if a majority of the cabinet affirms that he is unable to discharge the duties of his office. If the president resists, a two-thirds vote from Congress will confirm the cabinet’s judgement. It was designed to clarify who has the constitutional authority to declare a president incapacitated, a necessity that became apparent following the assassination of President Kennedy.

The 25th Amendment is not, however, a way for elites to get rid of a president they despise without having to persuade the millions of people who voted for him that he is indeed unfit for office. Douthat is indulging a dangerous fantasy here. It might feel good to write a column calling for the president’s removal. It might give pundits a rush of blood to the head. But this is not a parlor game.
The country is deeply divided. People have taken to attacking each other in the streets and threatening congressmen when they venture outside Washington. We’re still recovering from a presidential election that actually ended marriages and tore families apart. Trump’s election was, more than anything else, a giant middle finger to the political establishment, which has lost the confidence of the American people.
If now seems like the right time for that establishment to launch an unconstitutional coup to remove the president through a specious application of the 25th Amendment, then I respectfully submit that you’re underestimating the precariousness of national life at this moment.
The Elites Don’t Know Best
None of this is a defense of Trump. Perhaps it will turn out that he really is unfit for office. He certainly seems to be woefully deficient in the qualities necessary for a successful presidency, like prudence, patience, and a general seriousness and curiosity about the world. Of course, the torrent of news this week should worry every American.

But we should be equally worried about the illegal leaks that have fueled the news this week. Understand what these leaks mean: an unelected fourth branch of the government, the administrative state, is trying desperately to undermine the duly elected leader of the executive branch. The press is on the side of the administrative state, and would like nothing more than to be rid of this troublesome president, whom nobody important voted for anyway.
The argument for removing Trump at this juncture amounts to an elitist desire to nullify the votes of some 63 million Americans. Some, like Douthat, are no doubt motivated by a paternalistic urge to redirect the misguided frustrations of their benighted countrymen. Douthat took to Twitter Wednesday morning to bolster his case, saying that removing Trump “harnesses a central use of an elite—their ability to respond swiftly to a situation the public as a whole can’t reckon with.” He seems unaware that the public has already rendered judgement on the elite, and no longer wants their swift response. (Note that this was the exact same justification for the bank bailout, which incensed most Americans.)

Excerpt, Much more at link

http://thefederalist.com/2017/05/17/media-elite-indulging-dangerous-fantasies-removing-trump-office/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

So? Ignore them.

Offline DB

I kind of enjoy watching them get their hopes up only to be crushed later...

As someone else so eloquently said, not my circus, not my clown...

geronl

Some Trump supporters act like the government can't govern if the media is reporting crap. Why let the media stop them from doing their job? Why not go ahead and do your job and ignore the "lies" and "fiction" being reported?

I don't remember any other White House spending so much time caring what the media does.

Offline Idiot

I don't see this as a fantasy at all.  I actually see Trump getting impeached.  I can see thousands demonstrating in Washington and the repubs folding like a wet noodle as they always do.  Not to mention there are very few repubs that actually support him.  I'd say at this point there is a 75% chance he'll be gone in a year.  I have never seen an effort like this to dislodge a president. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I don't see this as a fantasy at all.  I actually see Trump getting impeached.  I can see thousands demonstrating in Washington and the repubs folding like a wet noodle as they always do.  Not to mention there are very few repubs that actually support him.  I'd say at this point there is a 75% chance he'll be gone in a year.  I have never seen an effort like this to dislodge a president.

I pray that you are wrong about that because if you are correct and the media manages to hound a second republican president from office the game well and truly over!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

The hysterical reaction from Trump supporters makes it look like the bombs (I mean "fantasies") are hitting real targets.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The hysterical reaction from Trump supporters makes it look like the bombs (I mean "fantasies") are hitting real targets.

I was not a Trump supporter. Never voted for the man but HE is not the enemy! The Washington elites and the complicit media are the enemy!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

I was not a Trump supporter. Never voted for the man but HE is not the enemy! The Washington elites and the complicit media are the enemy!

I've no seen any evidence of a crime committed by Trump (while running and being President) so unless something can actually be found impeachment is just a fantasy along with a lot of smoke and mirrors.

The problem is Trump's mouth is a walking landmine and he keeps stepping on himself...

Offline Idiot

Ditto....   I was never a Trump supporter and certainly didn't vote for him either.  You are exactly right....he is NOT the enemy.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The problem is Trump's mouth is a walking landmine and he keeps stepping on himself...
And that could very well make him impeachable in due course. Not now, maybe not even next month,
but in due course. Could.

He is his own worst enemy. Until or unless something like the appropriate Congressional committee
decides that enough of his trippings warrant a serious investigation (I wish I could remember offhand who
said the president's loose lips could end up getting someone killed), I don't see him listening to anyone
who suggests to him that a big mouth works best when shut.

That's not the media's doing, whatever they have or haven't done wrong. (Have they done plenty enough
wrong? Hey, ask me a tough one.) This president manages it all by himself. He was the same way all those
years ago in New York when he was first becoming famous in real-estate and social circles. He shot from the
lip so often it was a wonder he didn't need reconstructive surgery on it from all the powder burns.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

Really? The only people I see hitting the panic button are losers like Justin Amash and the rest of the #NT dopes fueled off of unsourced Beltway MSM fabrications. Everyone one else out here in the sticks do not give a shit. Donny ain't going anywhere.*

(*See Slick Willy Impeachment fiasco)

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I've no seen any evidence of a crime committed by Trump (while running and being President) so unless something can actually be found impeachment is just a fantasy along with a lot of smoke and mirrors.

@DB

The elites in Washington ALL no there is nothing to any of this but the goal is to prevent ANY swamp draining and with that they are succeeding greatly!

- J. R. R. Tolkien