Author Topic: Will Ryan Consider Impeaching Trump?...By Robert Reich  (Read 2286 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Will Ryan Consider Impeaching Trump?...By Robert Reich
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »

By Robert Reich
Tuesday, 16 May 2017 02:25 PM

The question is no longer whether there are grounds to impeach Donald Trump. The question is when enough Republicans will put their loyalty to America ahead of their loyalty to their party.

Trump's statements last week about his firing of former FBI Director James Comey provide ample evidence that Trump engaged in an obstruction of justice — a major charge in impeachment proceedings brought against Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.

more
http://www.newsmax.com/RobertReich/trump-impeach-russia-comey/2017/05/16/id/790477/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Will Ryan Consider Impeaching Trump?...By Robert Reich
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »
The question is no longer whether there are grounds to impeach Donald Trump. The question is when enough Republicans will put their loyalty to America ahead of their loyalty to their party.

Well, that's true.  There isn't any question whether there are grounds to impeach Donald Trump.  There clearly are not.  Will Ryan consider impeaching Trump?  Not if he has any honor or sense.  Just as a rule of thumb, if Robert Reich proposes something you can't go far wrong by doing the exact opposite thing.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:30:34 pm »
Robert Reich?

Seriously?

He's still around?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:25:41 pm »
Robert Reich?

Seriously?

He's still around?
The older he gets, the louder and more obstinate he becomes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »
According to Comey's reported memo, Trump said "I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go.  He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go".

I guess I just can't see such a statement - a request for leniency toward a man that Trump had just fired and therefore removed from any ability to influence policy - as impeachable obstruction of justice.   It certainly wasn't a demand that the FBI shut down its Russia investigation. 

Of course the press can, and Trump's enemies can - including those NeverTrumps who know that Trump's removal will be followed by Pence's elevation to the Presidency.   

This is a coup taking place before our eyes.   As much as I recognize that a President Pence will likely help facilitate conservative policy priorities,  a coup is a direct slap to the millions who voted for Trump and won the election, fair and square.   It is simply the un-American way to proceed.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:46:52 pm »
Of course the press can, and Trump's enemies can - including those NeverTrumps who know that Trump's removal will be followed by Pence's elevation to the Presidency.   

This is a coup taking place before our eyes.   As much as I recognize that a President Pence will likely help facilitate conservative policy priorities,  a coup is a direct slap to the millions who voted for Trump and won the election, fair and square.   It is simply the un-American way to proceed.   

Actually, if this coup succeeds, Mike Pence will owe his soul to the company store (or they'll remove him along with the President).  This is the deep state trying to remove an existential threat, and they'll not suffer for Mike Pence.  Conservatism will be a memory.  The one world order will advance unchallenged.

@Jazzhead

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:31 pm »
Will Ryan Consider Impeaching Trump?

Ryan will do whatever he's told to do.  Count on it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »

Actually, if this coup succeeds, Mike Pence will owe his soul to the company store (or they'll remove him along with the President).  This is the deep state trying to remove an existential threat, and they'll not suffer for Mike Pence.  Conservatism will be a memory.  The one world order will advance unchallenged.

@Jazzhead
@Right_in_Virginia  wait a minute....doesn't this mean Ryan will be vp if pence gets trumps job?

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »

I don't know how it is possible and it is hard to believe but the guy really is shrinking. He's down to 3 foot 11 inches now.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia  wait a minute....doesn't this mean Ryan will be vp if pence gets trumps job?

No.  It means that the VP slot will be empty.  The president (Pence) would propose a replacement and the Senate would vote on that replacement.  Think of the procedure used to replace Agnew.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 05:29:00 pm »
No.  It means that the VP slot will be empty.  The president (Pence) would propose a replacement and the Senate would vote on that replacement.  Think of the procedure used to replace Agnew.
Thanks for info.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 06:02:50 pm »

No.  The next POTUS nominates a VP and the Senate confirms.  Think Nixon/Agnew/Ford.

Paul Ryan advances to POTUS only if both the President and Vice President are dead or incapacitated.  (And I'm not ruling this out)

@flowers

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:18:36 pm »
No.  The next POTUS nominates a VP and the Senate confirms.  Think Nixon/Agnew/Ford.

Paul Ryan advances to POTUS only if both the President and Vice President are dead or incapacitated.  (And I'm not ruling this out)

@flowers
Thanks for clearing that up. @Right_in_Virginia

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 07:12:53 pm »

@flowers

Question. If Ryan advanced to POTUS - would he serve the term out, or only until an election could be called?

You got me speculating on his lean and hungry look now ....  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 07:29:57 pm »

and shorter?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:06 pm »
Robert Reich is just making his wet dream public, in the hopes others will legitimize his fantasy and pressure it to become a reality.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »
Question. If Ryan advanced to POTUS - would he serve the term out, or only until an election could be called?

You got me speculating on his lean and hungry look now ....  :tongue2:

If presidential succession is triggered (as it has been in the past when a president died or resigned), the official succeeding to the office of president fills out the remainder of the term.  The next election takes place at the scheduled time.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:41 pm »
Right, although Ryan would be acting Vice President in most capacities (except those pertaining to the Senate) until that replacement is chosen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024