Author Topic: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?  (Read 61101 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2017, 04:09:40 am »
Who said I opposed conservatives @Hoodat ... I want names!!

But the truth is until conservatives learn that politics and governing require more than a knowledge of preaching and a propensity for judging, conservatives will be stuck a minority within a minority.  People just don't like either.

Rather than taking this personally ... think about it.  It's really good advice.
You see, that's the problem. We just aren't, and y'all are telling us to argue for the best price. Some things aren't for sale.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:12 am »

But the truth is until conservatives learn that politics and governing require more than a knowledge of preaching and a propensity for judging, conservatives will be stuck a minority within a minority.  People just don't like either.

Rather than taking this personally ... think about it.  It's really good advice.

It would be if we really really wanted to 'fit in', and 'go with the flow', and follow the lemmings.
But that's not what Conservatism is about.
If you were one, you'd know that.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
It would be if we really really wanted to 'fit in', and 'go with the flow', and follow the lemmings.

I am one and I do know @roamer_1   I'm simply giving my 2 cents on how to win elections and govern.  But, hey, if that isn't what conservatism is about or wants, then the strategy is working.   :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2017, 11:36:28 am »
The folks who are the soi disant variety who keep trying to remake it in their image, just like some other things are the problem. If they only had the honesty to drop the self-applied label they'd do less damage. Instead they claim the title and fight us every inch of the way, from the left side, of course.
Like that fellow in the desert (MATT:4), they promise much.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:38:34 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2017, 12:04:57 pm »
I am one and I do know @roamer_1   I'm simply giving my 2 cents on how to win elections and govern.  But, hey, if that isn't what conservatism is about or wants, then the strategy is working.   :shrug:

Too many "conservatives" are useless because they reside in Cloudcuckooland, not the real world.   Pragmatism is what gets legislation passed and change effected.   Of course,  those who champion the art of the possible are derided as "unprincipled" by those who fancy themselves as morally superior.   

Let them bask in their phony moral superiority.   They're a hell of a lot happier when the Dems are in power anyway.   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:06:08 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »
Too many "conservatives" are useless because they reside in Cloudcuckooland, not the real world.   Pragmatism is what gets legislation passed and change effected.   Of course,  those who champion the art of the possible are derided as "unprincipled" by those who fancy themselves as morally superior.   

Let them bask in their phony moral superiority.   They're a hell of a lot happier when the Dems are in power anyway.  

Amen, brother! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »
Okay...I'll play this one time.   But please try to keep up.

I don't give a fiddler's ###k about your highbrow principles....noble as they may be.

On one side, a 'flawed' big C  Conservative, who has governed...in terms of signed EOs, bills put forth and oh yeah....Justice Neil Gorsuch on the SCOTUS....all in about 4 months, Conservatively.

The DEADLY mortal enemy....the ONLY OTHER CHOICE, is Hillary Clinton, who would destroy/repeal the 2nd Amendment, cement Single Payer into our lives...and continue to exterminate the White majority...all the while continuing to weaken our defenses and our Middle Class.

Now run along now, and get with the program.      :whistle:

Matthew 16:26:

“For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »

“For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”

Soul and principles are a concept that's beyond the understanding of the orange crowd.

Hope they are getting more than  30 pieces of silver (check about 10 chapters down).
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »

Nonsense.  This has nothing to do with one's soul.   Politics is the art of the possible.   If you think adherence to rigid ideological purity is necessary to preserve your soul, then you're nuttier than a fruitcake.   

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »
Nonsense.  This has nothing to do with one's soul.   Politics is the art of the possible.   If you think adherence to rigid ideological purity is necessary to preserve your soul, then you're nuttier than a fruitcake.

Art of the Possible? :silly:

Wow that statement perfectly frames the Orange Mindset.    Principles be damned and then....   oh fudge..... the idol is a Trojan horse.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2017, 01:45:50 pm »
Art of the Possible? :silly:

Wow that statement perfectly frames the Orange Mindset.    Principles be damned and then....   oh fudge..... the idol is a Trojan horse.

Stay in your basement.  Exposure to sunlight's bad for ya.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2017, 01:48:10 pm »
Stay in your basement.  Exposure to sunlight's bad for ya.

And thinking or trying to sound intelligent is bad for you.  Stay in your echo chamber for everyone's safety.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2017, 01:49:16 pm »

So your advice is to abandon Conservatism for political expediency.  Got it.

In other words, you oppose Conservatism.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »

Amen, brother!

That's just it.  The Democrats effectively are in power, because Conservatism has been abandoned by the very people campaigning on its coattails.  The Dems get to keep Obamacare.  The Dems get to keep exorbitant tax rates.  The Dems get to keep baseline budgeting.  The Dems get to keep annual trillion dollar expansions of the money supply through the printing-of-the-money by the Fed.  And the Dems get to keep control of the narrative.  All because Conservatives were told to get in the back of the bus by people who care more about holding on to political power just like Democrats than they care about actually rolling back the power of Government.

To hell with you all you Democrat-wannabees.  Unless we begin cutting back the encroachment of government in our lives - unless we get the federal government the hell out of health care insurance - unless we bring federal spending below 19% of GDP - unless we implement a flat tax where everyone who holds a job becomes accountable, then we as a nation will cease to exist.  And after 17 months of campaigning, two months of preparation, and four months in office, it is clear that not one of you Trump sycophants gives a damn about any of these things.  All you care about is having power.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:24 pm »

Well, when the Dems are in power, the Republicans aren't so damned obsessed with fighting Conservatives.

C S Lewis

Offline hchutch

« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2017, 02:03:06 pm »
Why would any rational human (including Republican) do this @Hoodat ?   The "conservatism" represented by the majority of voices here is, for a myriad of reasons, simply unelectable.   :shrug:

A big part of this is the fact that the Left has the edge in the media, they have academia, and they also have pop culture via domination of Hollywood. Not to mention most of the "civil servants" in government at all levels are left-of-center. The civil servants can always wait out the elected politicians. The media and pop culture will shape how many see things.

Last night's SVU was watched by millions - and more will watch via Hulu/On Demand, etc. It painted Christian conservatives as homophobes who approve of "raping the gay away." Next week's season finale is a two-hour anti-Trump fest over illegal immigration.

This is the reality. A lot of what we will do will have to be marginal gains until we can get a beachhead in the media, academia, and pop culture. That is a generational task - and the Left is already moving in a more totalitarian direction. Remember Ann Revel wanting to regulate conservative media? Did you see that article in the New England Journal of Medicine that all but calls for doctors to swear fealty to Planned Parenthood?

The Left has been playing for keeps since Citizens United. The Right hasn't caught up to this paradigm shift yet. The only people who have are Trump, Bannon, and a few others - and half the Right seems to be willing to ditch them.

Offline hchutch

« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2017, 02:08:11 pm »

My top choices for 2016 were Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, and Marco Rubio. Trump was pretty far down my list, but higher than Cruz, who was pretty much a Cuban-American Barry Goldwater.

I support conservatism, but am tired of the tactical and strategic incompetence of its leaders over the past decade-plus.

Do you really believe that conservatism would have survived the army of Lois Lerners and a Merrick Garland Supreme Court that Hillary Clinton would have wrought?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:08:31 pm by hchutch »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2017, 02:09:14 pm »

No. His advice is to get the most conservative legislation possible enacted into law while appointing conservative justices and Department heads. The advice is NOT to hide in your basement with a shotgun and 6 months supply of dehydrated food while the Far Left assumes control of the House, Senate, Presidency and Judiciary. Reagan had principles, but he also had a brain and knew when he had to compromise and take 80% conservative solutions over nothing.

Here's a secret....we Trump supporters are every bit as committed to conservative principles as you NT'rs, but we are smart enough....like Reagan...to understand we don't get to just dictate 100% of what we want into law. Our government is a Republic, not a theocratic dictatorship...so those who lack the intellect and nobility to compromise when necessary simply become irrelevant...or worse...they become useful idiots who unwittingly facilitate the Far Left.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Silver Pines

« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2017, 02:10:48 pm »
Trump was pretty far down my list, but higher than Cruz, who was pretty much a Cuban-American Barry Goldwater.

LOL

Robinson can't get that rustbucket site taped back together fast enough.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2017, 02:13:07 pm »
My top choices for 2016 were Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, and Marco Rubio. Trump was pretty far down my list, but higher than Cruz, who was pretty much a Cuban-American Barry Goldwater.

I support conservatism

You support conservatism, But the most conservative candidate of the entire list was Cruz, and he was the bottom of choices?. Hmmmmm.....

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2017, 02:16:19 pm »
A big part of this is the fact that the Left has the edge in the media, they have academia, and they also have pop culture via domination of Hollywood. Not to mention most of the "civil servants" in government at all levels are left-of-center. The civil servants can always wait out the elected politicians. The media and pop culture will shape how many see things.

Not nearly as big of a part as Republicans rejecting Conservatism as soon as they get elected.  Liberals have always had academia.  And Republicans vote year after year in favor of taxpayer subsidies for that same academia.

And the press?  It has been that way since Walter Cronkite.  It didn't stop Reagan from cutting the top tax rate from 70% to 28%.  He didn't whine about how the media was against him.  He just got it done.  Too bad Trump isn't a Conservative.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2017, 02:16:51 pm »

LOL

Funny how some our Trumpet hoard calls us haters for our comments, and  not bowing down to the orange idol.  Still the TOS brings their Cruz hate in periodic fashion.  They are really becoming an amusing lot.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2017, 02:18:47 pm »

LOL

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Help is on the way!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »
No. His advice is to get the most conservative legislation possible enacted into law

When can we expect that to begin?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2017, 02:20:11 pm »

I support conservatism, but am tired of the tactical and strategic incompetence of its leaders over the past decade-plus.

Do you really believe that conservatism would have survived the army of Lois Lerners and a Merrick Garland Supreme Court that Hillary Clinton would have wrought?
Oh well, the more things change the more they remain the same. I liked Goldwater over Johnson, too. I haven't changed, but for all y'all's soul-selling finesse, You have only lost a lot of ground.

C S Lewis