Author Topic: Tubing Instagrams flow through social media as Texas floaters hit rivers ahead of Memorial Day  (Read 2070 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Chron.com by Madalyn Mendoza, mySA.com / San Antonio Express-News Updated 11:32 am, Tuesday, May 16, 2017

When in Texas, float the river.

And while we are still about two weeks away from the traditional start of tubing season on Memorial Day, May 29, Texans are already in mid-season form, according to photos posted to social media.

With the recent rise in temperature into the 90s, floating fans are inflating their tubes and heading out to two of Central Texas' most popular rivers, the Comal and Guadalupe.

More: http://www.chron.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/Tubing-Instagrams-float-through-social-media-as-11149651.php?ipid=layoutrecirc_houstontexas#photo-12912176

geronl

Tubing is an industry almost year-round here

You don't need your own inner tubes and you can pay for a ride from the bottom of the tubing area back to the start of it, over and over.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:28:41 pm by geronl »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We used to go tubing on the Muskegon river all the time when I lived up north.

Offline Idiot

Tubing is an industry almost year-round here

You don't need your own inner tubes and you can pay for a ride from the bottom of the tubing area back to the start of it, over and over.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........beer!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........beer!

Muskegon river tubing is more my speed. We used to go in the middle of the week after work a lot so we had the river to ourselves and a few guys fishing.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I remember going down the Guadalupe when the river was pretty high. Before we came to where our cars were parked, we came to a chain across the river. So of course we kept on going. My BIL told me on the next fall, don't go down the middle. Sure enough, when I saw the fall I was in the middle of the river. Going over the fall I lost my tube. I was stuck in the river, not moving, and the tube was at the base of the falls. So I swam back to my tube and once I grabbed my tube we swapped places. I was at the base of the falls goin' round an round. I could look up at the bank and saw a whole lot of people. I wondered if they were there to pull out the bodies. Then I remembered that I had heard if you get stuck to swim to the bottom. I tried to swim to the bottom and then I was zooming down the river again. I got to the bank and someone handed me my tube.

Life was good!

Offline anubias

I've spent many days tubing down that river.  Too crowded for me now.  We do other rivers, but none have been as fun as the Guadalupe once was before everybody found out about it.

Offline roamer_1

yeah... we do it a little different up here... Other than the beer... and a little faster water...

geronl

I remember going down the Guadalupe when the river was pretty high. Before we came to where our cars were parked, we came to a chain across the river. So of course we kept on going. My BIL told me on the next fall, don't go down the middle. Sure enough, when I saw the fall I was in the middle of the river. Going over the fall I lost my tube. I was stuck in the river, not moving, and the tube was at the base of the falls. So I swam back to my tube and once I grabbed my tube we swapped places. I was at the base of the falls goin' round an round. I could look up at the bank and saw a whole lot of people. I wondered if they were there to pull out the bodies. Then I remembered that I had heard if you get stuck to swim to the bottom. I tried to swim to the bottom and then I was zooming down the river again. I got to the bank and someone handed me my tube.

Life was good!

cool story

geronl

I've spent many days tubing down that river.  Too crowded for me now.  We do other rivers, but none have been as fun as the Guadalupe once was before everybody found out about it.

You pretty much need a reservation to see Hamilton Pool (north of Austin) now.

Offline anubias

I've gone white water rafting many times and loved it.  Tubing is a different animal entirely.  It's a lazy day in a tube starting at daybreak with a keg and friends floating along with you. The cool water keeping you comfortable while the sun beats on you.  Floating the keg in more ways than one without even having to get up to go pee.  When it gets dark, it's time to get out and head to the Grist Mill for dancing, chow, and more alcohol.  It's a redneck thing.  LOL. I haven't done it in quite a few years and probably won't ever again, but it was fun when I was young.

Offline roamer_1

I've gone white water rafting many times and loved it.  Tubing is a different animal entirely. 

Yeah I know,,, we do tubing too, down on the main Flathead River it's tributaries the north, south, and middle forks of the Flathead are all screaming white water, but the main river is fine for tubing. or the upper Swan (don't go past the dam or you will die), or the Stillwater...

It's a lazy day in a tube starting at daybreak with a keg and friends floating along with you. The cool water keeping you comfortable while the sun beats on you.  Floating the keg in more ways than one without even having to get up to go pee.  When it gets dark, it's time to get out and head to the Grist Mill for dancing, chow, and more alcohol.  It's a redneck thing.  LOL. I haven't done it in quite a few years and probably won't ever again, but it was fun when I was young.

Yeah... that's all the same... and it's a redneck thing everywhere. Y'all ain't gotta tell me about redneck things... I already know.

888high58888

Offline anubias

LOL. Gotta love redneck things.  :)