Author Topic: Texas Constitutional Carry R.I.P.  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Constitutional Carry R.I.P.
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:56 am »
The Truth About Guns by  Robert Farago   May 12, 2017

After a season of plot twists, Constitutional Carry in Texas is dead. Activists fought hard, as did the few legislators who took a stand for the strongest gun rights legislation filed in the House. Texas made history, moving the issue farther along than ever before. And yet, as the session rushes to a close, deadlines have passed, but the bill hasn’t.

This announcement begs the question: who’s to blame? Although it’s fair to say that House and Senate leadership hold responsibility for not pushing forward the #1 priority of their party, I’m going to lay the blame squarely in the lap of Chairman Phil King of the Homeland Security & Public Safety committee.

After giving HB 375 a public hearing in February, he reportedly promised numerous times to schedule a vote moving the bill along. The vote never happened. The bill still sits in his committee, having passed House deadlines to be moved forward.

There was another unlicensed carry bill that also moved in the House this session: HB 1911. Since it was completely re-written several times during the legislative process, it’s hard to understand what the bill even was supposed to do. I joined many others with concerns over the bill.

Yet even HB 1911 could have been a vehicle for implementing meaningful change. It, too, died. After moving out of King’s committee one day too late for House members to force it to the floor for a vote, it sat in the Calendars committee and was never scheduled for second reading.

Constitutional Carry is not the only issue being targeted. This session, very few bills of substance on ANY issue have passed in Texas. In fact, the Republican-controlled legislature has managed to pass only one or two of its party’s eight legislative priorities. The others, including the number one priority of Constitutional Carry, are all dead.

You may hear glowing reports of the efforts of “gun rights champions” who have given us SB 16, which HAS passed both chambers. It will reduce the fee for a five-year license from $140 to $40, effective September 1.

While a positive move toward reducing the financial barrier to obtaining an License to Carry, this bill should by no means be considered an acceptable substitute for Constitutional Carry. It is simply a different issue.

Many of us are highly disappointed, disgusted, ashamed and angry. I believe we have good reason for such feelings. Yet, at the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish, I’d like to remind us to look for the good, because there is a lot to be found.

More: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/05/robert-farago/texas-constitutional-carry-r-p/

geronl

Re: Texas Constitutional Carry R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:59:23 am »
Let me guess that Speaker Straus and his ilk have made sure it never got a vote.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
Let me guess that Speaker Straus and his ilk have made sure it never got a vote.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Probably find Dewhurst's grubby fingers in there somewhere too.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Probably find Dewhurst's grubby fingers in there somewhere too.

Reading the narrative on its demise made my head spin.  More finger pointing than action.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18:18 am »
Reading the narrative on its demise made my head spin.  More finger pointing than action.

Ok...flame me if you will....  I'm really not for open carrying a firearm.  Conceal carry....sure fine...not a problem.  For some reason it makes me uncomfortable seeing a .357 on some man or woman's hip right next to me.  And seriously, what is the need for someone walking down the street carrying a semi-auto rifle, just for the shock value.

Ok...that was my 2 cents.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:44:54 am »
  And seriously, what is the need for someone walking down the street carrying a semi-auto rifle, just for the shock value.

rifle? They can do that now, it's legal.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:15:54 am »
Ok...flame me if you will....  I'm really not for open carrying a firearm.  Conceal carry....sure fine...not a problem.  For some reason it makes me uncomfortable seeing a .357 on some man or woman's hip right next to me.  And seriously, what is the need for someone walking down the street carrying a semi-auto rifle, just for the shock value.

I share your sentiment on open carry in a  public setting. OTOH, I value having an extra 1/2 to 1 second toward access of my weapon, by not having it in the center storage compartment.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:16:58 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 01:57:45 pm »

I feel comforted knowing the open carry is the first target, giving me more time to get cover and prepare with my conceal carry.

I don't think I'll open carry myself anywhere except on my tractor (poisonous snakes, feral hogs, etc)

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 02:03:44 pm »
The guy pushing this bill (not the legislators carrying it) is a personal friend of mine whom I told at the outset that he was wasting his time and money for so long as Joe Straus remains speaker of the house.  Maybe he will listen next time.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:10 pm »

In the city, I would agree. Out in the country-side, I would not. My favorite sidearm is my single action Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC. In the city I do not carry it. Out in the country, I most always do. It only makes sense, to me, to be legally able to open carry out in the country, and out on the highway, driving from pasture to pasture.

A few years ago, in the news, there was a young man that patrolled his neighborhood. He may have been too young for a CCW license. He carried a rifle. At first some neighbors were upset. The police explained to them that he was well within his rights and then people got used to him walking armed thru the neighborhood.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 02:27:54 am »
In the city, I would agree. Out in the country-side, I would not. My favorite sidearm is my single action Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC. In the city I do not carry it. Out in the country, I most always do. It only makes sense, to me, to be legally able to open carry out in the country, and out on the highway, driving from pasture to pasture.

A few years ago, in the news, there was a young man that patrolled his neighborhood. He may have been too young for a CCW license. He carried a rifle. At first some neighbors were upset. The police explained to them that he was well within his rights and then people got used to him walking armed thru the neighborhood.

Oh I have no problem open carrying in the country side, where one might run across a rattler, etc.

BTW...I saw in the paper this morning that the texting while driving bill is headed to the Governor's desk.  Guess I'll have to stop now...lol.