Author Topic: MP3 creators abandon file format behind digital music boom  (Read 6744 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/13/mp3-creators-abandon-file-format-behind-digital-mu/

MP3 creators abandon file format behind digital music boom
By Andrew Blake
Saturday, May 13, 2017

The MP3 — the digital file format accused of nearly killing the commercial music industry at the last century’s end — is effectively dead.

The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, a German institution credited with creating the MP3, recently announced the termination of its licensing program for related patents, essentially abandoning its oversight role with respect to the once controversial music format.

Despite being the de facto digital audio format for the better part of two decades, the director of the Fraunhofer Institute told NPR that the MP3 has since been usurped by Advanced Audio Coding or AAC, the MP3’s designated successor.

“Most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future, MPEG-H,” Mr. Grill said. “Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to MP3.”

The MP3 format was considered a game-changer 20 years ago on account of allowing digital audio to be greatly compressed without causing a significant loss in sound quality. Aided by the increasing availability at the time of high-speed internet connections and the plummeting costs of data storage, the format gained popularity near the end of the 1990s as websites and file-sharing applications such as Napster enabled the wide-scale distribution of digital audio.

The file format was largely demonized by the decade’s end, however, after record labels and musicians alike raised piracy concerns and warned the MP3 would be the music industry’s end.

While the MP3 didn’t immediately disappear in line with the music industry’s wishes, Mr. Grill said AAC has since become the “de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones,” NPR reported.

Indeed, digital downloads generated $1.84 billion in retail music sales during 2016 while physical sales totaled $1.67 billion, the Recording Industry Association of America said in a March report. Currently, however, neither downloads nor physical media is making bank for the nation’s record labels: streaming services, rather, accounted for more revenue last year than digital downloads, compact disc and vinyl sales combined, Billboard reported.

(some of article omitted -- see URL above for original)

geronl

Re: MP3 creators abandon file format behind digital music boom
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:13:04 pm »
It's hardly dead

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »

While the MP3 didn’t immediately disappear in line with the music industry’s wishes, Mr. Grill said AAC has since become the “de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones,” NPR reported.

LOL!
No, the reason AAC is 'defacto' is because it is the default setting in itunes, and maybe other music platforms.

But you have got to be an idiot to save your music lib in aac or mp4. they are 'smart' files, with applications saving data into it's header wrt how many copies of the file you maintain. That means, if you copy a song to a mp3 player, unless THAT program deletes that copy back off of that mp3 player, you just used up one of your 'copies'... trashing a hard drive will burn one 'copy' of each of your songs... keeping a backup will also.

Generally, if you buy the song in a 'smart' file format, you are allowed somewhere between 1 and 5 copies, and considering a variety of devices, that ain't many.

But, itunes can be set to DL the file in mp3, which is a 'stupid' file... keeping absolutely no data wrt 'copies'. You are free to make as many copies as you like, deleting directly off of devices without damaging the original, having back ups on every single machine you own, without any cost in 'copies'...

If one is a file snob and has a need for 'lossless' formats, try ogg vorbis - .ogg files... Lossless and 'stupid'... But mp3 works fine for me. Any distortion is negligible.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »
And by the way, for those that have a large investment in music in the .aac format - If you've largely used itunes to build your library - deep within itunes' settings, you can tell the program to purchase in the mp3 format from now on... and there are a variety of converters out there, that can batch convert your existing aac based lib into mp3, or ogg files. MediaMonkey's paid version is the last one I used much for that purpose, but I am sure there are others as well.

any service tech worth his salt can easily help y'all get it done
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:49:20 pm by roamer_1 »

geronl

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »
Bring back MIDI music!

Offline roamer_1

geronl

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
WooHoo!!! http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/

I don't think my Ubuntu knows what to do with those files, lol. It took a couple tries.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 04:09:54 pm by geronl »

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus
@kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:39:39 pm »
"They" said the same thing about the GIF format a few years back.....

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:56:38 pm »
It's hardly dead

Yeah, why would the discerning public go with a format (aac) that takes up 10X storage.

In fact I wish I could find a player of the quality and power of an iPod that would play mp3's.  [Half the problem, when the first  future Trillion $ company runs everything. ]
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
In fact I wish I could find a player of the quality and power of an iPod that would play mp3's.  [Half the problem, when the first  future Trillion $ company runs everything. ]

I'd love something about the size of a walkman with AM/FM, and the ability to plug in a thumb or a flash card in order to listen to music or podcasts. Unfortunately, smart phones have usurped the entire market.

I use mp3 pretty exclusively, and used to take my crappy RCA 'droid-based tablet with me when I went walking - No problem playing anything. That particular machine died, and now I am stuck on an old Asus eeePC netbook for portability - It's running Mint Linux, and again, I can play anything.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3394933

That's mine. Except mine is bright pink (I REALLY get bored of an olive drab, rain grey, and shit brown life).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
Yeah, why would the discerning public go with a format (aac) that takes up 10X storage.

I like my Sansa Clip much better than an ipod.  Plays ogg vorbis (and a bunch of others, but ogg's what I use for music), loads via USB (no itunes required - also works as a HDD in a pinch), and no apple tax.  I've never used the SD card, as even 4GB is enough for several audiobooks and a couple dozen music albums.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 10:41:33 pm »
I like my Sansa Clip much better than an ipod.  Plays ogg vorbis (and a bunch of others, but ogg's what I use for music), loads via USB (no itunes required - also works as a HDD in a pinch), and no apple tax.  I've never used the SD card, as even 4GB is enough for several audiobooks and a couple dozen music albums.

Like this?

Here is the main problem I have with every stinking MP3 player out there.
What is it with the 'It's got to be so small that you can't read the screen' thing! Sheesh! I can load it fine from the computer, but what do I do after that? bring a mag with to read it? And if I EVER let it off the ear buds... It's GONE! I will never find it again.

What is SO HARD about making a nice hand-held with a big enough screen to actually see a list of titles? Something big enough to play a music vid if you are so inclined?

The last player I bought was much like the one pic'd and I paid seventy bucks for it. I would gladly pay more for a reasonable size (like the plastic costs anything), a lot more screen, and a little water resistance.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 11:06:00 pm »
Like this?

Here is the main problem I have with every stinking MP3 player out there.
What is it with the 'It's got to be so small that you can't read the screen' thing! Sheesh! I can load it fine from the computer, but what do I do after that? bring a mag with to read it? And if I EVER let it off the ear buds... It's GONE! I will never find it again.

What is SO HARD about making a nice hand-held with a big enough screen to actually see a list of titles? Something big enough to play a music vid if you are so inclined?

The last player I bought was much like the one pic'd and I paid seventy bucks for it. I would gladly pay more for a reasonable size (like the plastic costs anything), a lot more screen, and a little water resistance.

That's the previous model (Clip Plus).  Interestingly, it now sells for like 3x what it did before it was discontinued.

The replacement is the Clip Sport.  It's color and easier to read, but not necessarily easy to read.

The problem with the new one is I'm constantly bumping one of the side buttons, which skips to the last/next file, and then I have to stop and fiddle with it to get back to my place in the book.  I could lock the controls, but then I have to fiddle with it to unlock them whenever I want to hit pause.  Both of which are kind of a hassle when I'm doing something, especially with work gloves on.  The new Sport Plus looks like it'll fix this as it has a little border around the edge.

I have to ask, what about a smart phone?  Sounds like what you're after.  Maybe you're willing to use a $50 device in a lot of places you don't want to carry your much more than $50 device?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:50 pm »
If one is a file snob and has a need for 'lossless' formats, try ogg vorbis - .ogg files... Lossless and 'stupid'... But mp3 works fine for me. Any distortion is negligible.
@roamer_1
ogg files are not lossless.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 11:17:06 pm »
No love for FLAC?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:36:56 pm »

I have to ask, what about a smart phone?  Sounds like what you're after.  Maybe you're willing to use a $50 device in a lot of places you don't want to carry your much more than $50 device?

I don't want a smart phone. I have no use for it, other than as a device to listen to media on... and one with reasonable power is double what I would want to spend.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:38:33 pm »

ogg files are not lossless.

@ShadowAce
Then I stand corrected. I thought they were.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:41 am »
I don't want a smart phone. I have no use for it, other than as a device to listen to media on... and one with reasonable power is double what I would want to spend.

Thought you might be able to pick up a used one from some of those folks that have to always have the latest.  I don't know what the market is like, I'm still on my first.

I suppose, if all else fails:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/MP3/MOD-MP3-X/

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 12:52:08 am »
Thought you might be able to pick up a used one from some of those folks that have to always have the latest.  I don't know what the market is like, I'm still on my first.

I suppose, if all else fails:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules/MP3/MOD-MP3-X/

Heh. I was just talking about gutting that eeePC notebook of mine and filling it with rasberry goodness.
I have an old AM/FM Walkman that I could maybe slip that into... Almost steampunkt.

LOL!

But I know how that goes.. I will carve out all the internal ribs and build new ones out of epoxy to fit the new board, that should only take a week or so... fit it in the case and carve the control interfaces and usb slot...
Move the AM/FM card so I don't lose that... part of which will have to stack over the new card, requiring an insulation layer... Then I will find the perfect display, wait for a month while someone in a rowboat gets it from China, only to run into an insurmountable problem interfacing the display to the unit, first beating my head against the wall for a week or two, and finally throwing it at the wall in utter disgust.

Because that's how I roll.
meh.  :shrug:

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 01:38:27 am »
"They" said the same thing about the GIF format a few years back.....

Love the old GIF file spec.  Nice and simple format.  As an experiment once I manually created a gif image. 

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 01:40:47 am »
No love for FLAC?

Good point. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 04:44:43 am »
Love the old GIF file spec.  Nice and simple format.  As an experiment once I manually created a gif image.

Same here.
I wish I had the brain I had then. I doubt I could do it now.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 05:00:57 am »
Dead I guess means they no longer can successfully extract money for licenses thus gave up wasting their time trying. At one time they tried to get a slice of the pie of every mp3 player with a converter. I have probable 5,000 songs in MP3 format, don't see them going anywhere soon.

Other that low bit rate (below 128k) songs, the only MP3 format I didn't really like was the variable rate ones. My computer just had a hard time processing some of them (displaying song length etc).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:04:24 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....