Author Topic: There Are 2 Dimensions of Time, Theoretical Physicist States  (Read 905 times)

rangerrebew

There Are 2 Dimensions of Time, Theoretical Physicist States

May 9, 2017

by Philip Perry

You can’t really enter into “another dimension” as science fiction would have you believe. Instead, dimensions are how we experience the world. But some aspects actually suggest to one expert, not one but two dimensions of time. If it were true, the theory could actually heal the most glaring rift in physics—between quantum mechanics and general relativity.   

That’s according to Itzhak Bars of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. The normal three dimensions including up-down, left-right, forward-back, and space-time. In Bars’s theory, time isn’t linear, but a 2D plane in curvature interwoven throughout these dimensions and more.

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/there-are-in-fact-2-dimensions-of-time-one-theoretical-physicist-states?utm_source=realclearscience&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=partner
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:04:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline endicom

Re: There Are 2 Dimensions of Time, Theoretical Physicist States
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »
The normal three dimensions including up-down, left-right, forward-back, and space-time.

Bogey?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »

Bogey?

Linear time has never made sense to me:
 A single dimension requires one to two points to describe it.
 Two dimensions require two to three points to describe it.
 Three dimensions require three to four...
 and the fourth dimension is a line again?  **nononono* *****rollingeyes*****

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:11:04 pm »
Linear time has never made sense to me:
 A single dimension requires one to two points to describe it.
 Two dimensions require two to three points to describe it.
 Three dimensions require three to four...
 and the fourth dimension is a line again?  **nononono* *****rollingeyes*****

No, the fourth dimension is not a line. The fourth dimension is a collection of sequential volumes of the first three dimensions representing state, metaphorically.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
No, the fourth dimension is not a line. The fourth dimension is a collection of sequential volumes of the first three dimensions representing state, metaphorically.

I will disagree. State is true, but only as a snapshot in a linear array. It is still a time line.

However, what you say can be said of each, respectively, with the exception of the first dimension in it's discrete state (a dot) - Each is 'aware if itself, and each of the lesser dimensions contained within itself (proven, provable)... with the next step or dimension only conceptually represented...

Until time, which is where the whole thing ceases to be logically extended. Or our perception thereof is limited, even as the concept of each progressive dimension can only be theorized from the one beneath it.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:02:02 am »
I will disagree. State is true, but only as a snapshot in a linear array. It is still a time line.

However, what you say can be said of each, respectively, with the exception of the first dimension in it's discrete state (a dot) - Each is 'aware if itself, and each of the lesser dimensions contained within itself (proven, provable)... with the next step or dimension only conceptually represented...

Until time, which is where the whole thing ceases to be logically extended. Or our perception thereof is limited, even as the concept of each progressive dimension can only be theorized from the one beneath it.

No, I don't think you understand what I am describing. There is a reason it is called "space-time." Time is a representation of the sequential changes in the space's state.

For example, if I lived in a universe with one physical dimension (a line), along which I traveled, time would be a representation of me being at state 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. When talking about the universe, in all it's 3-dimensional glory, time is a just a representation of state changes within the three dimensions.

This is a generally accepted physics principle whether or think so or not.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 01:27:33 am »
There Are 2 Dimensions of Time, Theoretical Physicist States

May 9, 2017

by Philip Perry

Not two, three. That is, three dimensions of time, just as there are three dimensions of space.

Unfortunately this may mean that free will is an illusion. But then that's been theorized about before.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 01:37:18 am »
The only thing that matters right now is how many dimensions are in Trump's chess game. I think we're up to eleventy hundred.
I stand with Roosgirl.