Author Topic: Indonesian Islamist leader says ethnic Chinese wealth is next target  (Read 780 times)

rangerrebew

Indonesian Islamist leader says ethnic Chinese wealth is next target

Published
3 hours ago

JAKARTA (REUTERS) - The leader of a powerful Indonesian Islamist organisation that led the push to jail Jakarta's governor has laid out plans for a new, racially charged campaign targeting economic inequality and foreign investment.

In a rare interview, Bachtiar Nasir said the wealth of Indonesia's ethnic Chinese minority was a problem and advocated an affirmative action programme for native Indonesians -  comments that could stoke tensions already running high in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/indonesian-islamist-leader-says-ethnic-chinese-wealth-is-next-target
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:34:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I think I read a timeline where one can see that this kind of atmosphere has grown directly in correlation with Saudi (Salafi) investment in Indonesia. I can not be assured that that is a fact.

Indonesia is probably somewhat hospitable to an open society but these stories are worrisome. A friend goes to Malaysia ever so often, similar situation. Muslims are a bit of the over-class there vs. other religions though at this point, it doesn't seem to be outright radicalism ruling.

geronl

Indonesia is probably somewhat hospitable to an open society but these stories are worrisome. A friend goes to Malaysia ever so often, similar situation. Muslims are a bit of the over-class there vs. other religions though at this point, it doesn't seem to be outright radicalism ruling.

When a Muslim man can murder his Christian slave girl and the government pays off the girls family, we know they're "somewhat hospitable to an open society."

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I wouldn't mind seeing China intervene militarily in Indonesia to protect the ethnic Chinese there, and in doing so overthrow the Indonesian government AND outlaw islam as well.

Just dreamin'...  ;)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think I read a timeline where one can see that this kind of atmosphere has grown directly in correlation with Saudi (Salafi) investment in Indonesia. I can not be assured that that is a fact.

The Chinese have been discriminated against in Indonesia for decades.

I recall in the 80s that a Chinese man was arrested by Customs for packing some of his things in newspaper from China as the custom agents believed he was smuggling in Communist propaganda.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington