Author Topic: Zinc acetate lozenges may increase the recovery rate from the common cold by three-fold  (Read 1356 times)

rangerrebew

Zinc acetate lozenges may increase the recovery rate from the common cold by three-fold

Date:
    May 11, 2017
Source:
    University of Helsinki
Summary:
    According to a meta-analysis of three randomized controlled trials, zinc acetate lozenges may increase the rate of recovery from the common cold three fold. On the fifth day, 70 percent of the zinc lozenge patients had recovered compared with 27 percent of the placebo patients.
Share:

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170511095151.htm
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:18:08 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

zinc acetate

Generic Name: zinc acetate (ZINK AS e tate)
Brand Name: Galzin

What is zinc acetate?

Zinc is a naturally occurring mineral. Zinc is important for growth and for the development and health of body tissues.

Zinc acetate is used to treat and to prevent zinc deficiency.

Zinc acetate may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/zinc-acetate.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:24:00 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Why not?

Zinc Oxide accelerates the healing of cuts by a large amount. Reduces scarring, too. Why shouldn't zinc acetate give your immune system a jump as well?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idiot

Of course Zinc works.  Anyone ever try Zicam?  It keeps the cold virus from replicating in the nose.  Of course sadly...the Zinc in the nose can cause a loss of smell.  I used to own the stock....went up like a rocket and crashed like one as well...lol..  They sell Zinc lozenges as well but they taste horrible and will make you nauseous if you take too many.

Offline endicom

For the winter I used elderberry lozenges. The gummy version has 50mg of black elder extract, 7.5 mg of zinc citrate and 90 mg of Vitamin c per lozenge.

Lozenge because they melt in the mouth and contact the throat before entering the stomach.

Nature's Way because they have a pleasant taste and show how much elderberry is in a lozenge.

They seem to control nasal congestion and that alone makes them worthwhile to me.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Of course Zinc works.  Anyone ever try Zicam?  It keeps the cold virus from replicating in the nose.  Of course sadly...the Zinc in the nose can cause a loss of smell.  I used to own the stock....went up like a rocket and crashed like one as well...lol..  They sell Zinc lozenges as well but they taste horrible and will make you nauseous if you take too many.

I use Cold Eeze zinc lozenges. I don't mind the taste of the sugar-free cherry ones, and they really do work to reduce the strength of the cold, and how long it lasts. The trick though, is that you have to start using the lozenges at the very first sign of a cold. Keep a package of the lozenges on hand, and learn to recognize the early symptoms. Then when you think something might be developing, start using the lozenges immediately.
Let it burn.

Offline Frank Cannon

Is this article from 20 years ago?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

For the winter I used elderberry lozenges. The gummy version has 50mg of black elder extract, 7.5 mg of zinc citrate and 90 mg of Vitamin c per lozenge.

Lozenge because they melt in the mouth and contact the throat before entering the stomach.

Nature's Way because they have a pleasant taste and show how much elderberry is in a lozenge.

They seem to control nasal congestion and that alone makes them worthwhile to me.

Thanks for this tip @endicom !  I've got a cold now ... so I'll try this.

Offline endicom

Thanks for this tip @endicom !  I've got a cold now ... so I'll try this.

Look at the reviews for stuff like this and people don't much like the taste. I didn't like the taste until I tried the Nature's Way stuff.

geronl

Every time Trump gets cold he bathes Zinc acetate

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Does it make him feel galvanized?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Does it make him feel galvanized?

The sheen wears off eventually.

Silver Pines

@mrpotatohead

I've tried the lozenges, but they're sickeningly sweet.  I believe they're made with high fructose corn syrup.  I managed one but I had to spit out the second.