Author Topic: Myth busted: People smell as well as dogs  (Read 1111 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Myth busted: People smell as well as dogs
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:08:40 am »
Myth busted: People smell as well as dogs
[AFP]Kerry SHERIDAN
May 11, 2017

Miami (AFP) - People's sense of smell is just as sharp as those of rats and dogs, a US researcher said Thursday, calling for an end to a century-old "myth" to the contrary.

Rutgers University neuroscientist John McGann reviewed research and historical writings he says led to the misconception that human sense of smell is inferior, according to the report in the journal Science.

"For so long people failed to stop and question this claim, even people who study the sense of smell for a living," he said.

"The fact is the sense of smell is just as good in humans as in other mammals, like rodents and dogs."

Continued: https://www.yahoo.com/news/myth-busted-people-smell-well-dogs-193357687.html

I don't believe this right off,  **nononono*  it could be so. But how can they use dogs to track down criminals if our sense is the same? The article goes on to say the dogs smelling sense may be more sensitive. That would explain that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:09:39 am by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Myth busted: People smell as well as dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:57:28 am »
No effing way. My dog can smell a cat in the yard. I can't.  **nononono*

We can smell as bad as each other, but only if we roll in the same stuff... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:22:33 pm »
Yeah, I don't believe this either.  I notice there was no link in the article to any sort of scientific study, only anecdotal comments by some academic. 
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:03 pm »

We can smell as bad as each other, but only if we roll in the same stuff... :shrug:

No kidding. My dogs come unglued if I come home after having scratched someone else's dog.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:47:02 pm »
No kidding. My dogs come unglued if I come home after having scratched someone else's dog.
Yep. They KNOW...(But at least they won't take the kids and go home to mother.) :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »

My redbone coonhound can find small treats in our half acre yard.   He does the zig zag until he gets downwind of them and zeros right in.  No way a person could do that.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:39:09 pm »
My redbone coonhound can find small treats in our half acre yard.   He does the zig zag until he gets downwind of them and zeros right in.  No way a person could do that.

Lol. My Boston terrier will scratch a hole in the floor trying to get at a fragment of an old carrot a full foot under the refrigerator.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:00:53 pm »
So... who are we gonna hire to replace bloodhounds? illegal aliens?

Offline anubias

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »
Lol. My Boston terrier will scratch a hole in the floor trying to get at a fragment of an old carrot a full foot under the refrigerator.

Yep.  This is BS.  Anyone who has a dog knows it.