Author Topic: Saudi Arabia plans to invest $40B in US infrastructure: report  (Read 834 times)

Offline corbe

Saudi Arabia plans to invest $40B in US infrastructure: report

By Mark Hensch - 05/11/17 04:32 PM EDT

Saudi Arabia plans on investing up to $40 billion in U.S. infrastructure, according to a new report.

The spending could be announced as early as next week, during President Trump’s first visit there, Bloomberg said Thursday.

Bloomberg said the investment would come from Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund.

People familiar with the matter told the news outlet that no final decision has been made and the announcement may still be delayed.
A White House official confirmed that the plan is in the works, citing White House senior adviser Jared Kushner’s critical role in the talks.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/333017-saudi-arabia-plans-to-invest-40b-in-us

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Saudi Arabia plans to invest $40B in US infrastructure: report
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:06 pm »
   Coming to a new Toll Road near you.

أرباع فقط   (Quarters Only)
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:11:20 pm »
Saudi Arabia is a regular investor in our infrastructure bond market. I recall they duped in $70 Billion a few years ago. Our side threw a fit when we found out how much they owned in our debt.

They threatened to stop this investing last year when the 9/11 liability lawsuits were moving forward. I wonder what changed on that front.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:47 pm »
The article does not specify what these monies will be spent in the way of infrastructure.

Maybe instead of just buying US bonds for the low return,  it will be pipelines, toll roads and chemical plants where returns are far higher.

Not sure we should be eyeing this with anything more than a critical review than rah-rahing it on.

We need no more CITGO gas stations.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:42:32 pm »
Saudi Arabia is a regular investor in our infrastructure bond market. I recall they duped in $70 Billion a few years ago. Our side threw a fit when we found out how much they owned in our debt.

They threatened to stop this investing last year when the 9/11 liability lawsuits were moving forward. I wonder what changed on that front.
If it is just buying bonds to fund US infrastructure projects, that is no big deal; however, if the infrastructure investment is in the form of owning pipelines or chemical plants, we need to slow that process down to a crawl.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:07:19 am »
Let the Saudis do their investing somewhere else.
Western Europe might be more appropriate.

They can keep their billions, and their barbaric "religion", too.
Because wherever they go, that comes along with it.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:21 am »
They can get their terror funding money elsewhere.