Author Topic: What if We Discovered an Alien Civilization Less Advanced Than Our Own?  (Read 5834 times)

rangerrebew

What if We Discovered an Alien Civilization Less Advanced Than Our Own?
By Corey S. Powell | May 10, 2017 11:47 am

Readers of this blog know that I’m a big fan of Quora, because it lets non-experts raise the kinds of speculative questions that don’t normally come up in formal scientific discussions. One frequent theme that comes up is the issue of what we would do if we found intelligent life on a planet around another star. A recent posting in particular caught my eye: “What would we do if we found an Earthlike planet with intelligent life that is 500 years behind us in technology and advancements?”

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/outthere/2017/05/10/alien_civilization/#.WRRJRsa1t0i
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:22:15 am by rangerrebew »

Oceander

Planet 51!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We would be doing them a favor by bringing them up to our level.

I don't believe in a "prime directive" and see nothing noble in it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I do. Stay out of the way. Give them a chance to develop an intelligent culture.
Technology alone does not make for being 'advanced', either, so a lot would depend on how you defined 'advanced'.
Considering that pretty basic terms like "wall", "healthcare", etc. seem to be so hard to agree upon, "Advanced" should be a fun discussion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It depends on the situation and the people.

Yes to indoor plumbing, electric lights, printing presses, medicine, things to make their lives easier.

But no to splitting atoms. I would not want to be responsible for that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:48:22 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

People 500 years ago were perfectly modern humans completely capable of comprehending our modern technology. In fact Cro Magnon man were modern men in all but technological advances.

Obviously you would want to take care in how you introduce the technology. Maybe plow fields for them and start introducing modern farming methods to them. Start teaching them to teach each other.

Offline Cripplecreek

Harry Turtledove's "The Road not taken" really broke my brain on this sort of thing.

Offline Smokin Joe

It depends on the situation and the people.

Yes to indoor plumbing, electric lights, printing presses, medicine, things to make their lives easier.

But no to splitting atoms. I would not want to be responsible for that.
If you are going to give them electricity, skip the printing press. They'll just print money, anyway.
Go directly to internet, conserve resources.

Learn from their medicine, first. It may appear (and may be) "primitive" but it has evolved over their cultural existence and to some extent that means the things that work best are in use. They may have subtle methods and indigenous remedies and cures we know nothing about, and could learn from. A tremendous amount of indigenous herbal lore was lost by assuming tribal medicine men and women were just 'witch doctors' . Instead of feathers, masks, and paint, ours dress in scrubs and white lab coats and invoke the standard chants to the antitobacco god. (plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Nuke em from space and steal all the planets resources.

Offline Smokin Joe

It might be a kinder fate than well-intentioned meddling, and safer than letting them prowl the galaxy on a Saturday night all hopped up on Kerbango or something.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

It might be a kinder fate than well-intentioned meddling, and safer than letting them prowl the galaxy on a Saturday night all hopped up on Kerbango or something.

Nothing in the universe can be made worse until you inject a human into it.

Offline Cripplecreek

It is kind of interesting that there have been hints of resentment that have been pointed in the direction of the Vulcans on the various Star Trek series over the years.

They were far more than 500 years advanced of humans but were draw to a warp signature which signaled mankind about ready to leave the solar system. They controlled and restricted humanity for many years. It showed up most in the Star Trek Enterprise series where Captain Archer accused the Vulcans of keeping us on a leash.

Offline Smokin Joe

Well, I heard the whole "advanced culture" thing put this way.

When the white man got to the New World, he encountered cultures where the women skinned game, prepared the food, tanned and rendered supple the hides, and made clothing from them, tended gardens and small children. 

The men went hunting and fishing, and occasionally went to neighboring tribes to raid or trade, and no one complained when they got a new bow, knife, or lance.

Think about all that improvement, guys.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

:silly:

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Wingnut

Well, I heard the whole "advanced culture" thing put this way.

When the white man got to the New World, he encountered cultures where the women skinned game, prepared the food, tanned and rendered supple the hides, and made clothing from them, tended gardens and small children. 

The men went hunting and fishing, and occasionally went to neighboring tribes to raid or trade, and no one complained when they got a new bow, knife, or lance.

Think about all that improvement, guys.

Man I miss the good old days!

Offline montanajoe

Well I'd say some would be polishing up their beads and trinkets, some would be trying to register them to vote, and others would be sending missionaries... :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

Well I'd say some would be polishing up their beads and trinkets, some would be trying to register them to vote, and others would be sending missionaries... :whistle:
Don't forget the government agents, vying for treaties for 95% of the planet's surface and minerals....and taxmen. :nometalk:

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Don't forget the government agents, vying for treaties for 95% of the planet's surface and minerals....and taxmen. :nometalk:

And Land Grab...don't forget Haley Vs United States...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZarDGRH1Q&ab_channel=TheOrb

Offline Smokin Joe

And Land Grab...don't forget Haley Vs United States...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZarDGRH1Q&ab_channel=TheOrb
Can't forget that. There are 1280 acres out of 10 million the government so graciously allowed my wife's people to keep (any else in tribal trust or private hands they had to buy back from the people who got it for 'back' taxes).

C S Lewis

Offline bolobaby

@Cripplecreek

Soooo....

I was at an amusement park with the kids recently, walking through the midway. Do you know what the prizes were for the games? I'm not kidding, here...

Yes. Stuffed poop. And stuffed poop hats. Some of the poop was in rainbow colors.

So next time you fantasize about bringing an "underdeveloped" alien culture up to "our level," grab your nuts - or whatever parts afforded you by one of 67 genders - buck up, and just walk that fantasy riiiiiight back.

We truly have become Idiocracy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:13:11 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline the_doc

:silly:

@Polly Ticks
@Wingnut

Nuke em from space and steal all the planets resources?  No, no, NO!

(They might be tasty.  The Reptilians might taste like alligator tail.)

rangerrebew

What about the if?  We've already discovered a "civilization" less advanced than our own.  Its called Black Lives Matter. :whistle:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This happened all throughout our history.  More advanced cultures "discover" less advanced cultures, and, generally, the less advanced disappear, adapt and/or assilmilate.

Offline Cripplecreek

This happened all throughout our history.  More advanced cultures "discover" less advanced cultures, and, generally, the less advanced disappear, adapt and/or assilmilate.

Assimilation and adaption are preferable. Again, I just don't see anything noble in keeping primitive people primitive so we can study them and feel superior. I would encourage them to hold on to their history and useful parts of their traditional culture.

500 years ago people were fully modern humans who only lacked technologies and knowledge.

Wingnut

This happened all throughout our history.  More advanced cultures "discover" less advanced cultures, and, generally, the less advanced disappear, adapt and/or assimilate.

Except for Muslims. They have yet to disappear adapt or assimilate.