Author Topic: Climber caught hiding in a cave to avoid paying £8k to climb Everest  (Read 340 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Since we don't have a "What an idiot" thread ...

Everyone knows that climbing Mount Everest is not easy, but it’s also not cheap.

Foreign climbers who want to scale the 8,848 metre (29,030 foot) peak must pay the Nepalese government £8,000 to gain a permit.

But this South African adventurer wanted the glory of scaling the world’s highest mountain without having to fork out the cash to do it.

Sadly, for Ryan Sean Davy, 43, who had climbed alone as far as camp two, which is 6,400 metres (21,000 feet) high, he was rumbled — after being caught hiding in a cave.

“I saw him alone near base camp so I approached him and he ran away,” said Gyanendra Shresth, the government liason officer at base camp.

“I followed him with my friend and found him hiding in a cave nearby,” he told AFP. “He had set up camp in an isolated place to avoid government officials.”

On Facebook, Davy later wrote: “This news is probably going to make a lot of people upset with me and I really hope you’ll all forgive me.”

He admitted that his Everest expedition had “taken a very bad turn”.

.... snip ....

Davy could be banned from Nepal for five years or face a 10-year ban on climbing in the country. He will also be fined £16,000 — double the cost of the permit.

Davy told officials that he didn’t have enough money to buy a flight from the Everest region to Kathmandu to collect his passport. Since then, a friend has posted on his Facebook wall asking for others to help.

“Ryan is looking at a $22000 fine,” ‎Michele Whitehead‎ wrote. “Mohan a friend in Nepal suggested we contact the Consulate in Nepal.

“Ryan will probably [be] jailed till everything is sorted.

Full story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/climber-caught-hiding-cave-avoid-paying-8k-climb-everest-102006887.html

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink