Author Topic: Genetics determine how much coffee you can drink before it goes wrong  (Read 1227 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The other day a patient came to see me concerned that every time he drank coffee, his heart seemed to twitch. “Is this cardiac twitch a sign of heart disease?” he asked. A doctor himself, he pointed to a study done in Zurich that suggested that drinking the equivalent of two cups of coffee reduced the body’s ability to boost blood flow to the heart muscle in response to exercise and that this caffeine effect was stronger at high altitudes. That got me a bit worried myself. Like many of us, I fancy myself an amateur barista. So how much should we be having?
The most widely used drug in the world

When it comes down to it, the main active ingredient in coffee is caffeine. Caffeine is a plant alkaloid that occurs naturally in coffee, tea, guarana and kola nuts. It’s considered the most widely used drug in the world. The good news is that caffeine improves lung function, helps glucose metabolism in the gut, aids athletic performance, and is used in medications for ailments like migraines. Many carbonated drinks also contain caffeine and when present, manufacturers automatically increase sugar content, as caffeine dulls sugar taste receptors. This increased sugar is what makes soda especially bad for you.

We metabolize caffeine at different speeds

It turns out that your “cardiac twitch” is related to your caffeine metabolism – slow metabolizers of caffeine have a higher risk of heart attacks if they drink more than two cups of coffee per day; however, fast metabolizers have a reduced risk of a heart attack if they have at least a cup of coffee a day. I suggested that I run some genetic tests on my patient (and while I was at it, I thought I’d test myself). Knowing your genetic type is important here, as when it comes to CYP1A2 and coffee, there are some interesting facts.
Your genes tell you how much coffee to drink

Those of us with the AA variant of the CYP1A2 gene are fast metabolizers, while those with the AC or CC subtypes of the gene are slow metabolizers. The risky ones are the GA or AA variants. My risk was not elevated, even if (in general) it’s best to limit caffeine to 300 to 400 milligrams each day. However, my patient had the GA variant, meaning that, if he drinks more than 200 milligrams of caffeine a day, his heart disease could end up being more than just a twitch.

More: http://nypost.com/2017/05/09/genetics-determine-how-much-coffee-you-can-drink-before-it-goes-wrong/

You're welcome.  :tongue2:

I drink one cup of coffee a week - any more does unpleasant things.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, I am down to two pots of coffee per day...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Soon I expect some liberal to demand that eveyone carry a card with our genetic markers and present it to the barista or server for approval before we can order that cup of java!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
If you need coffee to get your morning started you have gone too far. At that point you are starting at a detriment and the coffee is just bringing you back up to normal. If you used it in moderation it'd actually give you some pep in your step on mornings you could really use that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:06:07 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

I've seen your coffee pot.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

I like mine a little on the Dark Side.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:22:43 pm by Wingnut »

Online Smokin Joe

I've seen your coffee pot.

That's the little one!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

LOL I drink it till it begins to flow freely.

Online Smokin Joe

LOL I drink it till it begins to flow freely.
That's just priming the pump... 888high58888

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

Better than Café au Lay's...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Every study, almost literally every single one, says something completely different about coffee.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
If you need coffee to get your morning started you have gone too far. At that point you are starting at a detriment and the coffee is just bringing you back up to normal. If you used it in moderation it'd actually give you some pep in your step on mornings you could really use that.

Want and need are not the same.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Every study, almost literally every single one, says something completely different about coffee.

Yup.

It used to be that eating eggs was practically the same as eating hand grenades.

Offline uglybiker

I only have one cup of coffee a day.
Now, I might refill it 5, 6, ...12 times, but it's the same cup!
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline rodamala

I like my coffee like I like my women.  Cold, black, and bitter.