Author Topic: California may end ban on communists in government jobs  (Read 2069 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
California may end ban on communists in government jobs
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:11:03 am »
California may end ban on communists in government jobs
By SOPHIA BOLLAG Associated Press
My feed
SACRAMENTO, Calif.

Being a communist would no longer be a fireable offense for California government employees under a bill passed Monday by the state Assembly.

Lawmakers narrowly approved the bill to repeal part of a law enacted during the Red Scare of the 1940s and '50s when fear that communists were trying to infiltrate and overthrow the U.S. government was rampant. The bill now goes to the Senate.

It would eliminate part of the law that allows public employees to be fired for being a member of the Communist Party.

Employees could still be fired for being members of organizations they know advocate for overthrowing the government by force or violence.

The bill updates an outdated provision in state law, said Assemblyman Rob Bonta, the San Francisco Bay Area Democrat who authored the measure.

Continued: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article149393519.html

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article149393519.html#storylink=cpy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: California may end ban on communists in government jobs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »
Does this mean Jerry Brown somehow got in twice during the past 40 years and no one knew?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:11:21 pm »
So I guess the last 30 years or so have just been Don't-Ask/Don't-Tell?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:01:59 am »
A mere formality, at this point. Bringing the rules in line with common practices, and getting the communists out of the closet. (Would the last ones out turn off the light?)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:02:33 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis