Author Topic: Lincoln doctor opens membership-based, insurance-free practice  (Read 862 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Dr. Todd Johnson of Lincoln is a modern-day pioneer, starting the first membership-based, insurance-free medical practice in Nebraska.

Access Family Medicine opened in mid-July and provides what is called direct primary care.

His patients pay a monthly membership fee for an old-fashioned relationship with their family doctor -- undiluted by insurance rules and paperwork.

Many of his patients have insurance, but Johnson does not do the paperwork or collect payments from insurance companies.

That gives him the freedom to focus on his clients, he said.

So patients get a minimum 30-minute office visit rather than the seven to 15 minutes primary care doctors often allocate per patient. They get access to the doctor, any day of the week, even when he's at home.

On a recent Sunday, Johnson got an email from a dad who discovered his kids needed physicals for sports -- soon. Johnson was able to schedule an appointment for a few days later.

Read more at: http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/lincoln-doctor-opens-membership-based-insurance-free-practice/article_d595f959-c0de-56a6-ac78-596e56005811.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Lincoln doctor opens membership-based, insurance-free practice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:46 pm »
There is an outfit advertising for a Christian version of medical group insurance, for much less. It is not offered in Montana for some reason.

The ads run on Patriot XM, satellite radio.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:17:37 pm »
I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:24:59 pm »
Huh. Some guys on another thread last night told me that it is impossible to allow the free market to fix healthcare.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:35 pm »
I like this, and I wish him and his patients the best.  But, I have to wonder...

Are his patients able to buy something like catastrophic-only coverage to cover the things that fall outside primary care?  Or are they paying for primary care twice?

Since he's not working through "The System"[tm], do any of the payments his patients make to him count against their deductables?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:36 am »
I like this, and I wish him and his patients the best.  But, I have to wonder...

Are his patients able to buy something like catastrophic-only coverage to cover the things that fall outside primary care?  Or are they paying for primary care twice?

Since he's not working through "The System"[tm], do any of the payments his patients make to him count against their deductables?

Good questions all, but since it's entirely voluntary it's safe to assume these folks have decided it's cost-effective for them. 

Offline kalee

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
I wish this were available where I live.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:04 am »
I wish this were available where I live.

Look up concierge doctors.  They are probably some in your area.  Also the healthcare coops work for some people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.