Author Topic: Irish beach washed away 33 years ago reappears overnight after freak tide  (Read 736 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
An Irish beach that disappeared more than 30 years ago has returned to an island off the County Mayo coast.

The sand at Dooagh, Achill Island, was washed away by storms in 1984, leaving only rocks and rock pools.

But after a freak tide around Easter this year, hundreds of tonnes of sand were deposited around the area where the beach once stood, recreating the old 300-metre stretch of golden sand.

Sean Molloy, manager at Achill Tourism, said local people were delighted to have the beach back.

Recalling the events of 1984, he said: “Some big storms destroyed the beach. It was completely washed away and 1984 was the last time the beach was there.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/08/irish-beach-washed-away-reappears-freak-tide

Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Did the beach check with the scientific consensus to see if they would allow this to happen? It should realize by now that consensus overrides actual facts of something like this happening.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

Global warming surely is the cause.......

Offline Suppressed

Did the beach check with the scientific consensus to see if they would allow this to happen? It should realize by now that consensus overrides actual facts of something like this happening.

Scientific consensus is that this is natural.  Engineering consensus is no.  This has led to disasters in the past, when natural processes are assumed to have a linear rate, rather than being episodic.  And why hundreds of millions of dollars are wasted on beach replenishments that last half as long as predicted.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Polly Ticks

Everything old is new again.  I expect bell-bottoms to make a comeback any day now.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra