Author Topic: Council house residents could be banned from smoking in their homes  (Read 516 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Council housing tenants may be prohibited from smoking in their own homes under new rules being considered by some councils.

Under the prospective new rules new council tenants would have to sign an agreement pledging not to smoke before taking up residence in a council property.

Professor John Middleton, president of the Faculty of Public Health, told the Sunday Times: "Housing associations and councils are looking at smoke-free housing buildings. Where children are involved I think there is a real case for it.

"You wouldn’t evict a load of tenants for smoking. Where you have got new premises you could have smoke-free agreements from the start."

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of anti-smoking charity Ash, told the newspaper that people were “frustrated by councils’ and social landlords’ failure to take action” on smokers damaging the health of those around them.

However Simon Clark of pro-smoking group Forest said the move would be an intrusion into people’s private lives, and would "penalise unfairly those who can’t afford to buy their own homes."

Last month the Government blocked a smoking ban in beer gardens and al-fresco dining areas after ministers warned such a move would infringe on people's freedom and lead to pub closures.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/council-house-residents-could-banned-smoking-homes/

I see the Nanny State is alive and well. Unfortunately.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Where I live, it's not elected officials (city council, county commission) passing these rules with the effect of law - it's unelected county boards of health. Never been a smoker, but I am greatly offended at the idea of appointed boards, who aren't accountable to anyone, taking these actions. In my county, they banned smoking on golf courses.  I'm sure private homes are next on their list. :nometalk:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
They banned smoking in your own car over here, if you have any kid as passenger. It's a hefty fine if you're caught.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They banned smoking in your own car over here, if you have any kid as passenger. It's a hefty fine if you're caught.
What's wrong with opening the window? Or is the air outside dirtier and more hazardous than cigarette smoke?

All this is ridiculous to me, anyway. If you have an apartment, for instance, and you can smell the neighbor's cigarette, something isn't up to code.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis