Author Topic: College Class On Greco-Roman Books May Be Changed For 'Being Too White'  (Read 352 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
thecollegefix

Max Diamond - Reed College •May 5, 2017

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32453/

[excerpt]

At Reed College, a mandatory freshman literature course focused on the works of great thinkers underpinning Western Civilization has come under fire from campus activists, who allege the mandate is systemically racist because the class only assigns the works of white authors and therefore perpetuates white privilege and racism.

The target is Humanities 110, “Greece and the Ancient Mediterranean,” an introduction to the works of celebrated Greco-Roman thinkers such as Aristotle, Plato, Epictetus and Ovid.

Humanities 110, which has evolved over the years, has been a required course at the private, Portland, Ore.-based liberal arts college for decades, but a group of students calling themselves Reedies Against Racism want the curriculum changed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:11:03 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Oceander

Offline bolobaby

I remember seeing these place mats around the edge of which were "famous African Americans."

90% of those pictured were on the place mat for one of two reasons:

1) Civil rights leader and/or abolitionist
2) First black [insert thing here]

While civil rights is important, I couldn't help but think, "This is kind of sad. Surely there are black people who have contributed to society more meaningfully than simply in the name of 'the struggle.' Why don't we know those names first and foremost?"
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online mountaineer

How many of the great thinkers from Greece and the Ancient Mediterranean were not white/Greek/Roman authors? Couldn't these snowflakes take any of a few dozen other courses in African-American, Lesbian, Gay, Queer, Latino, Chicano, Cubano, etc., etc.,  ad nauseam literature offered by this joke of a school in addition to just this one stinking little course on the ancient Greeks?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Social justice warriors have to find something to be outraged about. Cut em' a break.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates