Author Topic: U.S. job growth rebounds sharply, unemployment rate hits 4.4 percent  (Read 1197 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. job growth rebounds sharply, unemployment rate hits 4.4 percent

May 5, 2017

By Lucia Mutikani

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. job growth rebounded sharply in April and the unemployment rate dropped to a near 10-year low of 4.4 percent, signs of a tightening labor market that could seal the case for an interest rate increase next month despite moderate wage growth.

Nonfarm payrolls jumped by 211,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said on Friday, well above the monthly average of 185,000 for this year and a jump from the gain of 79,000 in March.

http://www.oann.com/u-s-employment-growth-seen-rebounding-wages-increasing/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:26:12 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline SirLinksALot

OK, the important questions we asked when Obama was President and the official unemployment rates were going down, still need to be asked --- what is the actual number of those who are OUT OF THE LABOR FORCE? (i.e. those who have given up looking for a job and are NOT COUNTED in the unemployment rate )

geronl

I stopped believing these numbers more than a decade ago

Offline endicom

OK, the important questions we asked when Obama was President and the official unemployment rates were going down, still need to be asked --- what is the actual number of those who are OUT OF THE LABOR FORCE? (i.e. those who have given up looking for a job and are NOT COUNTED in the unemployment rate )

Next to last paragraph in the article.

Offline SirLinksALot

It says in the article:

The labor force participation rate, or the share of working-age Americans who are employed or at least looking for a job, fell to 62.9 percent from an 11-month high of 63 percent in March. It has rebounded from a multi-decade low of 62.4 percent in September 2015, and economists see limited room for further improvement as the pool of discouraged workers shrinks.

Very little change if you ask me. Still too many with no jobs.

geronl

It says in the article:

Very little change if you ask me. Still too many with no jobs.

I wonder if there is a state by state breakdown of labor force participation rate??