Author Topic: Screw "Star Wars," real right-thinking people know what 5/4 Day REALLY means . . .  (Read 8184 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It means . . .

Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Take Five"

Well, somebody had to do it!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:26:19 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Even though it looks like it's the future, it's really a long, long time ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tgLnI0fFc

And of course the classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RySHDUU2juM
Let it burn.

Offline bolobaby

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline EasyAce

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline musiclady

It means . . .

I think I love you!   888high58888
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

I think I love you!   888high58888

The Partridge Family, "I Think I Love You"
@musiclady
ok, you may hate me for that, but how could I resist with the opening you gave me!  888high58888

Offline musiclady

@musiclady
ok, you may hate me for that, but how could I resist with the opening you gave me!  888high58888

No one could!  :beer:

And here's my gift back to you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSUjuSBt1A

Happy 5/4!!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

No one could!  :beer:

And here's my gift back to you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSUjuSBt1A

Happy 5/4!!

And a happy 5/4 to you too, my dear! Shame we don't have a wine icon, because that's the toast you deserve---not beer!

Offline bolobaby

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline musiclady

And a happy 5/4 to you too, my dear! Shame we don't have a wine icon, because that's the toast you deserve---not beer!

Will this do??   ^-^

Offline EasyAce

Wingnut

@musiclady

@EasyAce
Damn you. Damn you all to hell!    Ear worm!  Ahhhhggggg

Wingnut

Offline r9etb

For sure I won't remember to post this on 11 Aug or 13 Aug -- a piece written in 11/8 time with a brief excursion into 13/8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfuRgadOdkU

Online andy58-in-nh

For sure I won't remember to post this on 11 Aug or 13 Aug -- a piece written in 11/8 time with a brief excursion into 13/8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfuRgadOdkU
Imagine trying to dance to that.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It means . . .

I love this song. As for the Partridges, every girl in grammar school had a crush on David Cassidy. His father use to scare me on Colombo when he played the bad guy.

P.S. The only other piece I can think of that is in 5/5 is Gustav Holtz' Mars.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:47:49 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline r9etb

I know a guy who knows the composer, and he tells this story.  The composer is an organist, and he wanted to write a piece for his wedding.  The bride was notably uncommunicative about her wishes, so he wrote this, and said it would be the processional. 

In the event he played it as the recessional at his own wedding.....  I guess they stayed married, so his bride must have had a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:33:38 am by r9etb »

Offline EasyAce

One of the most amusing concert experiences I ever had was a concert at which Frank Zappa's then-current
version of the Mothers of Invention headlined with the Mahavishnu Orchestra opening. It was a near-crackup
watching people trying to dance to the Mahavishnu Orchestra, partially because of leader John McLaughlin's
spiritual attitude at the time, and partially because you could break an ankle trying with some of their
time signatures! 11/8 was a particular staple of theirs. So was sheer, brain-frying volume. The two together
destroyed my regard for so-called fusion jazz that night; the time signatures weren't the issue, the noise and
the schpritzing without an apparent purpose were. (Which is also what killed John Coltrane beginning
with Ascension---as a listening experience, and in terms of the Classic Quartet: McCoy Tyner wasn't
the only member who was disconcerted by the "shriekers, honkers, howlers, and squealers" Coltrane was
beginning to invite into the group.)

The sad part: McLaughlin had just produced a beautiful album of duets with Carlos Santana, including a
take on one of the movements of, arguably, John Coltrane's last piece of truly enduring music:

Carlos Santana, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, "A Love Supreme"

Offline EasyAce

I know a guy who knows the composer, and he tells this story.  The composer is an organist, and he wanted to write a piece for his wedding.  The bride was notably uncommunicative about her wishes, so he wrote this, and said it would be the processional. 

In the event he played it as the recessional at his own wedding.....  I guess they stayed married, so his bride must have had a sense of humor.

One of the great rhythm and blues records of all time began with the co-author writing the lyric to his bride-to-be . . . on their wedding day.

Doc Pomus was crippled by polio. Yet he'd fallen in love with and was about to marry a professional stage dancer. He wanted a way to tell
her that whether or not he could dance---at their wedding or otherwise---he wasn't about to stand in the way of her dancing, wedding or
otherwise. So he wrote this lyric to send that message, and it became a monster hit . . .

The Drifters, "Save the Last Dance for Me"

Offline r9etb

One of the great rhythm and blues records of all time began with the co-author writing the lyric to his bride-to-be . . . on their wedding day.

Doc Pomus was crippled by polio. Yet he'd fallen in love with and was about to marry a professional stage dancer. He wanted a way to tell
her that whether or not he could dance---at their wedding or otherwise---he wasn't about to stand in the way of her dancing, wedding or
otherwise. So he wrote this lyric to send that message, and it became a monster hit . . .

I wasn't aware of that.  What a great story!

Offline EasyAce

I wasn't aware of that.  What a great story!
@r9etb
 :beer:

Some backstories of songs are that way. Consider this, too:

In early 1964, Bob Gaudio---the keyboardsman for the 4 Seasons, and author or co-author of most of their songs---
was driving home from a Manhattan recording session when he stopped at a red light before turning to enter the
Lincoln Tunnel for his New Jersey home. At that intersection, one of New York's legendary squeegee kids came up
and washed his windshield. Gaudio fumbled his wallet out and found he had nothing smaller than a $5 bill. He
gave the kid---a girl---the $5 anyway. As he turned on the green light, he caught a look at her in his rearview
mirror and it haunted him how soiled she looked despite being somewhat pretty.

"She looked like a rag doll," Gaudio thought to himself.

He got home and wrote a song about her the same night, standing the story line of the Seasons' then-current
hit "Dawn (Go Away)" right on its head: now, he wrote in terms of well-off boy/girl from the wrong side of the
tracks:

The 4 Seasons, "Rag Doll"

And, while he was at it, Gaudio and Seasons producer Bob Crewe stood Phil Spector on his head, proving
you could get a "Wall of Sound"-like sound using nothing more than drums (Buddy Saltzman, the Seasons's
usual go-to drummer in the studio), bass (the Seasons' Nick Massi, who also wrote most of their vocal
arrangements), one guitar (the Seasons' Tommy DeVito), the Seasons' voices, and a glockenspiel.

A decade later, when the 4 Seasons dipped into the disco waters a bit, out popped "December 1963 (Oh What
a Night)"---written about the night that year during which Gaudio, the youngest member of the group, lost
his virginity!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:12:10 am by EasyAce »

Offline ConstitutionRose

5/4 is my birthday.  I had to recharge my phone twice because of all the clever people calling and texting me.  This thread is hysterical.  I sent some of these to my son and was rewarded with a phone call from him in which he was laughing too hard to talk.  I love it when he laughs like that!
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.