Author Topic: Yes, statins protect hearts. But critics question their expanding use  (Read 958 times)

rangerrebew

Yes, statins protect hearts. But critics question their expanding use
For people who haven’t had a heart problem, the benefit-to-risk balance changes
By
Laura Beil
7:00am, May 3, 2017

Cholesterol is so important to life that practically every human cell makes it. Cells use the compound to keep their membranes porous and springy, and to produce hormones and other vital substances. The body can make all the cholesterol it needs, but Americans tend to have a surplus, thanks in large part to too little exercise and too much meat, cheese and grease. Fifty years ago, researchers began to suspect that all this excess cholesterol was bad for arteries. But the idea remained difficult to prove — until statins came along.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/yes-statins-protect-hearts-critics-question-their-expanding-use?tgt=nr
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:19:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

I'm on a statin and it has worked well for me.  I'm aware many people can't tolerate it.  But for some of us, a statin is a life saver. 

Having said, we, as patients, should always question whether we need a drug and why.  Now I already had a cardiac arrest, so a satin made sense.  But my mother had no real cholesterol problem, and her doctor put her on a statin.  Caused her a number of problems.  But my mother was from a generation where doctors walked on water and you never questioned the doctor.  So she continued to take the drug even though it made her sick.  Took another doctor to finally get her off the statin.

And you also have to review your meds with the doctor from time to time.  After the arrest, I was prescribed Plavix. Ok, but what no one told me was that I shouldn't be taking it after 5 years. 8 years after the arrest, my cardiologist looked at the chart and asked, why was I still taking Plavix?  I said, because no one told me I shouldn't.   

For many of us, prescription meds may keep us alive. But there is a problem with overuse and overprescribing. We patients need to be more proactive in our care.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm on a statin and it has worked well for me.  I'm aware many people can't tolerate it.  But for some of us, a statin is a life saver. 

Having said, we, as patients, should always question whether we need a drug and why.  Now I already had a cardiac arrest, so a satin made sense.  But my mother had no real cholesterol problem, and her doctor put her on a statin.  Caused her a number of problems.  But my mother was from a generation where doctors walked on water and you never questioned the doctor.  So she continued to take the drug even though it made her sick.  Took another doctor to finally get her off the statin.

And you also have to review your meds with the doctor from time to time.  After the arrest, I was prescribed Plavix. Ok, but what no one told me was that I shouldn't be taking it after 5 years. 8 years after the arrest, my cardiologist looked at the chart and asked, why was I still taking Plavix?  I said, because no one told me I shouldn't.   

For many of us, prescription meds may keep us alive. But there is a problem with overuse and overprescribing. We patients need to be more proactive in our care.

I agree with all this. I'm on a statin and it hasn't hurt me so far, 2 years. No difference before or after but my cholesterol is down I guess.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I agree with all this. I'm on a statin and it hasn't hurt me so far, 2 years. No difference before or after but my cholesterol is down I guess.

Statins do have a history of weakening muscles.  Since the heart is a muscle, there is some thought out there of the possible impact.

That is why, with concurrence of my Dr. , I  added CoQ10 supplements daily a few years ago..
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Statins do have a history of weakening muscles.  Since the heart is a muscle, there is some thought out there of the possible impact.

That is why, with concurrence of my Dr. , I  added CoQ10 supplements daily a few years ago..

The chief ingredient is found naturally in Chinese red yeast rice, which is widely taken in asia/Europe, parts of NA. AAMOF, I believe the FDA tried to ban CRYR because it would make people on statins OD.

:shrug:

If you're going to take statins, make sure you know of the side effects and be ready to call your doctor to stop them if you get them. But I will say I've taken one for years with no issues.

Offline Applewood

The chief ingredient is found naturally in Chinese red yeast rice, which is widely taken in asia/Europe, parts of NA. AAMOF, I believe the FDA tried to ban CRYR because it would make people on statins OD.

:shrug:

If you're going to take statins, make sure you know of the side effects and be ready to call your doctor to stop them if you get them. But I will say I've taken one for years with no issues.

A friend of mine takes red yeast rice and is doing well on it.  I looked into it, but it clashes with some other meds I take. 

It is important that, if you are going to use alternatives to statins or any other prescription medications, you be sure the alternative is safe for you.  People don't realize that just because a substance is non-prescription, herbal or whatever, it isn't always right for you and it could do you more harm than the prescription.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
A friend of mine takes red yeast rice and is doing well on it.  I looked into it, but it clashes with some other meds I take. 

It is important that, if you are going to use alternatives to statins or any other prescription medications, you be sure the alternative is safe for you.  People don't realize that just because a substance is non-prescription, herbal or whatever, it isn't always right for you and it could do you more harm than the prescription.

My MD seems to like the COQ10 option, as he has concern for statin use for several years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

My MD seems to like the COQ10 option, as he has concern for statin use for several years.

Never tried COQ10, although I know some people who swear by it.  However, my triglycerides tend to be high, so my cardiologist's nurse suggested fish oil capsules.  The doctor himself didn't approve...until my last blood work showed my triglycerides were in the normal range. Was it the fish oil?  I don't know.  Will have to see what the next blood work shows.