Author Topic: Enough is Enough? (Red Sox 4, Orioles 2)  (Read 1610 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Enough is Enough? (Red Sox 4, Orioles 2)
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:19:58 am »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/05/03/enough-is-enough/

The good news from Boston Wednesday: Manny Machado got to play a game against the Red Sox without one pitch sailing
anywhere near him other than around the plate. The bad news: Orioles starter Kevin Gausman couldn’t resist opening the
second inning by throwing the first pitch at Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts’s hind quarters.

The slightly worse news was home plate umpire Sam Holbrook giving Gausman the ho-heave faster than Gausman’s circa-
77 mile an hour curve ball struck Bogaerts. Orioles catcher Caleb Joseph was distinctly unamused, slamming his mask to
the plate as he bellowed, with manager Buck Showalter high-tailing it out of the dugout fast to protect his catcher. (Joseph
survived to go 1-for-3 before leaving for a pinch hitter in the eighth.)

Really, now: It’s not exactly the thing you wanted most to see, in the third of a four-game set between these two, shall we
say, kissing cousins, but did anyone with a freshly-tuned brain cell think the Orioles wouldn’t think about sending the Red
Sox a little message at last?

No, we’re not encouraging bean ball wars. But the Orioles heard more than enough chin music since two days after
Machado’s hard slide inadvertently spiked Dustin Pedroia—a slide for which Machado apologised right after the game (he’d
even bent to assist Pedroia after the play ended) and Pedroia said he knew good and well there was no intent to slice him
into quarters on the slide.

I’ll say it again: Two days after that slide soiled the opener at Camden Yards, the Red Sox decided to retaliate, from Eduardo
Rodriguez throwing tight to Machado three times (at least one of the pitches looked like the intended target was Machado’s
body) and, during Machado’s final at bat of the game and the weekend, Matt Barnes throwing one meant to leave a hole
in Machado’s head.

Then, Tuesday night—after Red Sox starter Chris Sale showed a world of class, stepping off the mound to allow Adam Jones
to bask in a full-house standing O from those Fenway faithful disgusted over racist hollerings and other doings during Monday’s
series opener—Sale showed a world of crass by throwing behind Machado right after Jones’s three-pitch strikeout.

Maybe Sale fumed over Machado’s leisurely trot around the bases Monday night after hitting one clean past the Green Monster
seats. And maybe he also fumed that Machado’s slide hadn’t been properly repaid still. Tuesday night plate umpire D.J.
Reyburn did nothing but hand down warnings. Wednesday, Holbrook made with the too-fast hook.

No umpire is going to be fool enough to encourage brushbacks and knockdowns, but sensible umpires put them into proper
context. The only surprise about Gausman plunking Bogaerts is that anyone would have been surprised that at least one Red
Sox batter saw/felt a purpose pitch.

Now, consider this: what Gausman threw at Bogaerts wasn’t exactly a speeding bullet. A car going seventy-seven miles an hour
is a little testy on the freeway. A curve ball traveling seventy-seven toward a well-padded (sliding pants beneath the uniform)
ballplayer is a comparative pat. Gausman was trying to send a message, not execute the man. The Orioles showed restraint
above and beyond the call of sanity by not playing tit-for-tat with the Red Sox sooner.

So, for a change, did the Red Sox Wednesday. Neither starter Drew Pomeranz nor four other Red Sox pitchers—including Barnes,
of all people—threw anything resembling a purpose pitch all night. Unless you think they were just playing possum pending a
Thursday shootout, credit them for overdue restraint, if nothing much else over these two early-season sets.

About the only way you could possibly call Gausman foolish was when you noted that baseball government had a conference
call with the Orioles and the Red Sox before the game and said, essentially, knock it the hell off.

“This hasn’t been a one-incident situation,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell, telling reporters about the conference call.
“We are looking forward to playing a good, hard brand of baseball and we know that there have been some pitches that got
away, and that’s what precipitated the call today.”

Some pitches that got away. That’s like the architects of an ISIS terrorist attack saying some explosives went off by mistake.
Himself a former pitcher, Farrell has his did-we-do-that? rap down cold.

Wait until Sale receives the suspension all indications say is likely to come from baseball government soon enough. Will it
be like the vintage comedy routine in which an exasperated parent, finally shoved past her final nerve by her wild, crazy
children, “turns around, grabs a yardstick. She holds it like a Samurai warrior. She then makes an announcement that the
beatings will now begin, by saying, ‘I have had enough of thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!‘—and these brain-damaged children have the
nerve to look surprised!”

By the way, they managed to play a baseball game Wednesday, too. The Red Sox won, 4-2. Jones got himself ejected
during the game, too—not because he blew up over yet another burst of Fenway fan racism (though one fan was ejected
from the park and banned for life when heard using a racial slur), but because he was miffed over a called strike two in
the fifth and, when he went down on a swinging strikeout, flipped his bat and his helmet toward Holbrook.

Machado, in case you were wondering, went 0-for-5 with no apparent reason to lose anything otherwise.

The Red Sox scored once in the second (Bogaerts, aboard after Gausman’s plunk, scoring on Josh Rutledge’s single to left
center) and three times in the fourth. (Chris Young: first-pitch RBI double, scoring Bogaerts who opened reaching on a
miscue by Oriole shortstop J.J. Hardy; Mitch Moreland: scoring promptly after that as Rutledge grounded out; Pedroia,
sacrifice fly.) The Orioles scored twice, both in the sixth, courtesy of a sacrifice fly (Trey Mancini) and an RBI single
(Hardy).

Any chance that they’ll wind up this Fenway series without one hitter on either side feeling a pitch on some part of his
anatomy or seeing one sail behind him or under him? Or, perhaps, the Fenway Park PA system operator should cue up a
vintage hit behind the starting announcement lineups: “Enough is Enough.”

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Enough is Enough? (Red Sox 4, Orioles 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:21:41 am »
Machado, in case you were wondering, went 0-for-5 with no apparent reason to lose anything otherwise.

I was not. Just wanted to clarify that.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 05:16:53 am »

I was not. Just wanted to clarify that.

Well, bully for you.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:44:59 am »
Last two Orioles/Red Sox series:

Number of Oriole batters hit by pitch= 0
Number of Red Sox batters hit by pitch= 3
Number of Oriole baserunners spiked= 0
Number of Red Sox baserunners spiked= 1
Number of Oriole batters heads thrown at= 1
Number of Red Sox battters heads thrown at= 1

The Red Sox really need to cut it out! </sarcasm>
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:57:59 pm »
Last two Orioles/Red Sox series:

Number of Oriole batters hit by pitch= 0
Number of Red Sox batters hit by pitch= 3
Number of Oriole baserunners spiked= 0
Number of Red Sox baserunners spiked= 1
Number of Oriole batters heads thrown at= 1
Number of Red Sox battters heads thrown at= 1

The Red Sox really need to cut it out! </sarcasm>

Now, put that tally into context:

* Manny Machado slid hard into second base and accidentally spiked Dustin Pedroia in the opener at Camden Yards
over a week and a half ago---then leaned to help Pedroia after the play went dead and texted him an apology after the
game. He was trying to break up a possible double play, not to slice and dice Pedroia.

* Pedroia acknowledged, privately and publicly, that Machado had absolutely no intent to injure on the play.
If anyone would know it's Pedroia; few play the game as hard as he does.

* Red Sox pitchers, for whatever perverse reasons, elected to wait two days before sending Machado a return message.
(The Red Sox could have taken a legitimate shot at Machado the day after the Pedroia play---they had a knuckleball
pitcher going, and unless Machado has a physical delicacy we're unaware of Steven Wright could have aimed a knuckleball
at Machado, it could have just bounded off him like a rolled-up newspaper, everyone would have gotten the message---
however wrong the message would have been, in light of Pedroia's postgame remarks after the play at second---and a big
laugh while they were at it, from both sides. Even Machado would have been laughing. I mean, getting drilled by a knuckle-
baller is something comparable to getting spiked by a tennis shoe.)

* In the set-closer at Camden Yards, Eduardo Rodriguez threw at Machado three times, near his knees; and, during
Machado's final at-bat in the game, Matt Barnes threw right at his head. (Barnes was suspended for it.)

* Pedroia himself all but called his pitchers out for going too far, reminding anyone who cared to listen there'd been no intent
on the slide two days earlier. He even managed to mouth a message to Machado that he had nothing directly to do with
Rodriguez or Barnes throwing at him.

* On Monday night in Fenway Park, a few racists in the stand hit Adam Jones with particular abuse; as many as sixty such
fans may have been ejected including the idiot who threw a bag of peanuts at Jones.

* On the same night, Orioles starter Dylan Bundy hit Mookie Betts in the leg. Presumably, that was the return
message for the late-game, delayed, and attempted decapitation of Machado at the end of the Camden Yards set. Say what
you will but at least the Orioles didn't wait until the end of the series to send the Red Sox a message. (And at least
nobody waited until the end of the season series between the two to send it, unlike a certain team in Texas doing
just that to Jose Bautista last year over a five-month-old bat flip in a postseason game.)

* Except for one thing---the Orioles led at the time, 2-0, and Hanley Ramirez was the on-deck hitter, and you're absolutely
not going to put a guy on to pitch to that hot a hand unless your brains took a potty break.

* Machado took the local around the bases after hitting one clean over the Green Monster Monday night, which could
have been his own little return message for the attempted decapitation. He's not exactly famous for taking the express
around the bases when he hits one out, but in context you could translate Monday night's local trot as a return
message.

* Tuesday night---after Chris Sale let Jones enjoy a standing O the Fenway fans gave him to atone for Monday
night's disgrace---Sale struck out Jones, then faced Machado next in the order and threw behind Machado's back . . .
and drew only warnings from the umpires. (Fair disclosure: the word seeping out from baseball government is that
Sale is liable to be suspended.)

* No less than former Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell, working as an MLB Network analyst, said, "You get one
shot." Meaning the Red Sox had already had their four shots at Machado back in the finale in Camden Yards,
and now took one too many.

* Wednesday night, Orioles starter Kevin Gausman threw a meatball of a curveball that caught Xander Bogaerts's
butt---and got ejected without a blink. Turns out baseball government put the umps on "high alert" for the
game, but plate ump Sam Holbrook still should have used a little more common sense---especially because
it didn't necessarily look as though Gausman was trying to hit Bogaerts, compared to it looking very much like Sale
wanted a piece of Machado. Unless you think a 77-mph curve ball at the butt is more dangerous than a 90+ fastball
at the back.

I say this with regret because I've been a Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race*, but this time the Red Sox did
carry things a little too far. The whole thing should have ended after Rodriguez tried three times to hit Machado two
days after the accidental spike on Pedroia, in the set-ender at Camden Yards. When Barnes threw at his head his final
time up in that game, that crossed the line even further.

(* - I've also been a Met fan since the day they were born. Want to see my class-A drug bills from October 1986?  :beer: )
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:29:21 pm by EasyAce »

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:48:34 pm »
Now, put that tally into context:

* Manny Machado slid hard into second base and accidentally spiked Dustin Pedroia in the opener at Camden Yards

I didn't need to read any further. BS.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:21:03 am »

I didn't need to read any further.
Naturally.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:44:40 am »
Naturally.

Manny is kicking the Red Sox right in the balls tonight.   Hit a go ahead 3 run HR to put the birds up 6-3.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:05 am »
Manny is kicking the Red Sox right in the balls tonight.   Hit a go ahead 3 run HR to put the birds up 6-3.
@DCPatriot
Yep! And a hearty blast it was, too. (His third bomb of the Fenway series, in fact.)

Make that 7-3. J.J. Hardy swatted an RBI single in the top of the fifth.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:42 am »
Bad news for the Red Sox: they lost Steven Wright for the season. He's going to undergo
surgery on his left knee, cartilage replacement. (He injured the knee at first in spring
training.)

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:01:36 am »
@DCPatriot
Make it 8-3, Orioles: Adam Jones plated Hyun-soo Kim by beating out an infield hit.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 06:08:40 am »
@DCPatriot
Make it 8-3, Orioles: Adam Jones plated Hyun-soo Kim by beating out an infield hit.

I'll be in beisbol heaven next week for the NATS/ORIOLES home and home series.

BUT...not going to get too excited.   Why?   I'm a CAPS fan.

SICK of being 'Goliath' during the season only to keep meeting 'David' in the postseason.     :thud:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 06:17:09 am »
I'll be in beisbol heaven next week for the NATS/ORIOLES home and home series.
That ought to be a fun series.