Author Topic: Why space dust emits radio waves upon crashing into a spacecraft  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
phys.org May 2, 2017

When spacecraft and satellites travel through space they encounter tiny, fast moving particles of space dust and debris. If the particle travels fast enough, its impact appears to create electromagnetic radiation (in the form of radio waves) that can damage or even disable the craft's electronic systems.

A new study published this week in the journal Physics of Plasmas, uses computer simulations to show that the cloud of plasma generated from the particle's impact is responsible for creating the damaging electromagnetic pulse. They show that as the plasma expands into the surrounding vacuum, the ions and electrons travel at different speeds and separate in a way that creates radio frequency emissions.

"For the last few decades researchers have studied these hypervelocity impacts and we've noticed that there's radiation from the impacts when the particles are going sufficiently fast," said lead author Alex Fletcher, now a postdoctoral researcher at the Boston University Center for Space Physics. "No one has really been able to explain why it's there, where it comes from or the physical mechanism behind it."

The study is a step towards verifying the theory of senior author Sigrid Close, associate professor of aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. In 2010, Close and colleagues published the initial hypothesis that hypervelocity impact plasmas are responsible for a few satellite failures.

More: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-space-emits-radio-spacecraft.html

geronl

Re: Why space dust emits radio waves upon crashing into a spacecraft
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »
@kevindavis

fascinating and it is something any trip to Mars has to take into account

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:16:46 pm »
phys.org May 2, 2017

When spacecraft and satellites travel through space they encounter tiny, fast moving particles of space dust and debris. If the particle travels fast enough, its impact appears to create electromagnetic radiation (in the form of radio waves) that can damage or even disable the craft's electronic systems.

A new study published this week in the journal Physics of Plasmas, uses computer simulations to show that the cloud of plasma generated from the particle's impact is responsible for creating the damaging electromagnetic pulse. They show that as the plasma expands into the surrounding vacuum, the ions and electrons travel at different speeds and separate in a way that creates radio frequency emissions.

"For the last few decades researchers have studied these hypervelocity impacts and we've noticed that there's radiation from the impacts when the particles are going sufficiently fast," said lead author Alex Fletcher, now a postdoctoral researcher at the Boston University Center for Space Physics. "No one has really been able to explain why it's there, where it comes from or the physical mechanism behind it."

The study is a step towards verifying the theory of senior author Sigrid Close, associate professor of aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. In 2010, Close and colleagues published the initial hypothesis that hypervelocity impact plasmas are responsible for a few satellite failures.

More: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-space-emits-radio-spacecraft.html

I would think it would take a fair amount of dust or a very large craft to produce radiation in levels dangerous to humans.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:41 pm »
I would think it would take a fair amount of dust or a very large craft to produce radiation in levels dangerous to humans.

I think the focus was on damage to a craft's electronic systems, not to any humans onboard.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:39:43 pm »
Does this also explain the mysterious lights the Astronauts see? 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »
I would think that the plasma generated by the impacting dust particle could create light. Would it be visible by an Astronaut, I donno.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:25:48 pm »
I think the focus was on damage to a craft's electronic systems, not to any humans onboard.

Yeah and its especially true with the micro-circuitry we use now.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:35:12 pm »
Yeah and its especially true with the micro-circuitry we use now.

Which goes partly to explain why the hardware on space vehicles tend to be rather "primitive" when compared with current state-of-the-art.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:08 pm »

High speeds will magnify the effects of small mass particles. Another reason to know there are no interstellar travelling species. You'd detect their EM radiation over the entire spectrum.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:53 pm »

Those are cosmic rays impacting their eyes.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »

probably the radiation and lack of gravity causing damage to the eyes