Author Topic: A New Generation Overthrows Gender  (Read 619 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
A New Generation Overthrows Gender
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:52:27 pm »
Jon Brooks
NPR
May 2, 2017

Max, age 13, is agender — neither male nor female. When referring to Max, you don't use "he" or "she;" you use "they."

Once strictly a pronoun of the plural variety, "they" is now doing double duty as singular, too — referring to individuals, like Max, who do not see gender as an either/or option. (NPR agreed not to use Max's last name, because the family feared the sort of online threats that have been made to other transgender families.)

If the whole he/she pronoun thing feels awkward to you, Max is sympathetic — and patient.

'We are seeing more and more kids saying, 'You know what? What's with this either-or business? What's with this boy-girl and you have to fit in one box or the other?' "

"I can't expect anyone to use the right pronouns for me because it's not a thing that people know," Max tells me. "It's been great being myself, but it's also been really hard for people to get it, and for even family to get pronouns and stuff."
More
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:35:57 pm by Machiavelli »

geronl

Re: A New Generation Overthrows Gender
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »
Unless Max has multiple personalities he is not a "they"

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:37 pm »
Max can't even use the proper pronouns, shouldn't he be saying "we" instead of "me"?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
I am not too worried about this.  It will play hell with the psyches of the children in question, but Mother Nature is going to take care of it eventually.  Nature is stronger than (anti-)nurture and will not be denied for long.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 10:06:49 pm »
He is 13. Maybe late puberty. When those nuts kick into overdrive he will realize he is not a woman. He may be gay but won't  be a woman.