Author Topic: Ryan defends leaving Planned Parenthood funded in spending deal  (Read 1333 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ryan defends leaving Planned Parenthood funded in spending deal
by Robert King | May 2, 2017, 11:38 AM

House Speaker Paul Ryan defended not defunding Planned Parenthood in the spending bill Congress will vote on this week, saying that legislation repealing Obamacare is a better vehicle to strip federal money from the abortion and women's health provider.

The spending deal released this week doesn't defund nonprofit, angering anti-abortion groups. Ryan said during his weekly press conference that the reason was due to tactics: Spending bills need 60 votes to pass the Senate, and a defunding measure would be problematic.

Continued: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ryan-defends-leaving-planned-parenthood-funded-in-spending-deal/article/2621874

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Ryan defends leaving Planned Parenthood funded in spending deal
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
Bullshit
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 05:28:26 pm »
Trump says this is what winning looks like

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »
"Spending bills need 60 votes to pass the Senate, and a defunding measure would be problematic."

Would they get those 60 votes is the question? I don't know how to judge this. I do know there are some machinations in congress where it is not always easy to get things done.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »
Currently in the Senate:

52 Republicans, 46 Democrats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_divisions_of_United_States_Congresses

60 votes needed to pass spending bills.

I'm just saying and not pulling for one side or the other. They should shut down the government as far as I'm concerned.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:52 pm »
"Spending bills need 60 votes to pass the Senate, and a defunding measure would be problematic."

Would they get those 60 votes is the question? I don't know how to judge this. I do know there are some machinations in congress where it is not always easy to get things done.

I don't understand it either..Rush was talking about the ways to get around the 60 vote rule.

Rush said we did not send them to Washington to negotiate a bi-partisan deal..we sent them there to drain the swamp......we are the winners and should stop acting like the losers.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34