Author Topic: NASA finds Earth’s frozen twin planet  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NASA finds Earth’s frozen twin planet
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:23 pm »
The hottest new exoplanet is anything but hot.

Planet OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb is almost identical to Earth, except that it’s a ball of ice.

The newly discovered world is the same mass as Earth and orbits its star at the same distance we orbit our sun. But, unlike Earth, this planet’s temperature hovers around negative 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

That makes OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb even more inhospitable than Hoth, the frozen planet where Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker hid from the Imperial forces in “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.”

The latest find was spotted 13,000 light-years away. Its star is 10,000 times fainter than our sun and is so small, scientists aren’t even positive that it can be considered a star.

NASA confirmed the existence of this cold little planet through a technique known as microlensing. This process has enabled astronomers to find exoplanets thousands of light-years away by “using background stars as flashlights,” according to NASA’s press release. OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb is currently the lowest-mass planet to ever be found using the technique.

“This discovery provides more evidence that planets are not only very common but also very diverse,” Yossi Shvartzvald, lead author of the study, told CNN. “They are able to form in strange environments very different from what we’re accustomed to on Earth.”

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/nasa-finds-earths-frozen-twin-planet/

[attachment deleted by admin]
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: NASA finds Earth’s frozen twin planet
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »
That's pretty cold. Another 60 degrees and cold pretty much bottoms out at absolute 0.

If you think about it, we're living very near the bottom of the universal thermometer while trillions of degrees hotter are theoretically possible. (Planck Temperatures, 100 million million million million million degrees)

http://zidbits.com/2012/01/what-is-the-hottest-temperature-2/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
That's pretty cold. Another 60 degrees and cold pretty much bottoms out at absolute 0.

If you think about it, we're living very near the bottom of the universal thermometer while trillions of degrees hotter are theoretically possible. (Planck Temperatures, 100 million million million million million degrees)

http://zidbits.com/2012/01/what-is-the-hottest-temperature-2/

True.  But much of space is empty; very limited locations are much hotter.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »
True.  But much of space is empty; very limited locations are much hotter.

Entropy is the natural state of the universe with all matter eventually falling to its lowest energy state.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
I know when I watch TV chefs cook with frozen nitrogen on TV it amazes me. I can only imagine planets and moons made of frozen nitrogen, helium, and other chemicals.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️