Author Topic: How North Korea Would Retaliate  (Read 632 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How North Korea Would Retaliate
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »
Unsigned
Jan 5, 2017

Editor's Note

This is the fourth installment of a five-part series that originally ran in May 2016 examining the measures that could be taken to inhibit North Korea's nuclear weapons program. The purpose of this series is not to consider political rhetoric or noninvasive means of coercion, such as sanctions. Rather, we are exploring the military options, however remote, that are open to the United States and its allies, and the expected response from Pyongyang.

North Korea is powerless to prevent a U.S. strike on its nuclear program, but retaliation is well within its means. The significant military capability that North Korea has built up against South Korea is not advanced by Western standards, but there are practical ways Pyongyang could respond to aggression.

The North Korean military's most powerful tool is artillery. It cannot level Seoul as some reports have claimed, but it could do significant damage. Pyongyang risks deteriorating its forces by exposing them to return fire, however, which significantly restricts their use. Less conventional methods of retaliation, such as sabotage or cyber warfare, are less risky but also limit the shock that North Korea would desire.

After a strike, North Korea's most immediate and expected method of retaliation would center around conventional artillery. Many of the North's indirect fire systems are already located on or near the border with South Korea. By virtue of proximity and simplicity, these systems have a lower preparatory and response times than air assets, larger ballistic missiles or naval assets. Nevertheless, there are several critical limitations to their effectiveness.

Tube and Rocket Artillery

The biggest anticipated cost of a North Korean artillery barrage in response to an attack would be the at least partial destruction of Seoul. But the volume of fire that the North can direct against the South Korean capital is limited by some important factors. Of the vast artillery force deployed by the North along the border, only a small portion — Koksan 170-mm self-propelled guns, as well as 240-mm and 300-mm multiple launch rocket systems — are capable of actually reaching Seoul. Broadly speaking, the bulk of Pyongyang's artillery can reach only into the northern border area of South Korea or the northern outskirts of Seoul.

All forms of North Korean artillery have problems with volume and effectiveness of fire, but those issues are often more pronounced for the longer-range systems. Problems include the high malfunction rate of indigenous ammunition, poorly trained artillery crews, and a reluctance to expend critical artillery assets by exposing their positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gt8PYXhaOw

Based on the few artillery skirmishes that have occurred, roughly 25 percent of North Korean shells and rockets fail to detonate on target. Even allowing for improvements and assuming a massive counterstrike artillery volley would be more successful, a failure rate as high as 15 percent would take a significant bite out of the actual explosive power on target. The rate of fire and accuracy of North Korean artillery systems is also expected to be subpar. This belief is founded on the observably poor performance of North Korean artillery crews during past skirmishes and exercises. Though inaccuracy is less noticeable in a tactical sense — especially as part of a "countervalue attack," where civilian areas are targeted — at the higher level an artillery retaliation rapidly becomes a numbers game.

Ineffective crews also rapidly curtail the potential for severe damage. Rate of fire is crucial to the survivability of artillery systems — the name of the game is to get the most rounds on target in the shortest period of time, lest your position be identified and destroyed before the fire mission is complete. Poor training translates to a greatly reduced volume of fire and a painfully limited duration of effectiveness.

Read More at Stratfor:  https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/how-north-korea-would-retaliate
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: How North Korea Would Retaliate
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:48 pm »
Links to other stories in the series at the link above.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:32:29 pm »
I think NK right now could do mostly scorched earth stuff, deliberately killing SK civilians and destroying non-military infrastructure like electric distribution systems for example, but not alot more. And not for long, as I think we and SK would militarily shut them down pretty quickly.

It's long term that worries me. Even a dozen long range missiles designed to generate EMP could cripple the US for a significant amount of time, crushing our economy. Something will have to be done before they get there.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »
I think NK right now could do mostly scorched earth stuff, deliberately killing SK civilians and destroying non-military infrastructure like electric distribution systems for example, but not alot more. And not for long, as I think we and SK would militarily shut them down pretty quickly.

It's long term that worries me. Even a dozen long range missiles designed to generate EMP could cripple the US for a significant amount of time, crushing our economy. Something will have to be done before they get there.

Seems to be the gist of the article.  The Norks could do some serious damage in the short run, but just about anything they do would result in their own weapons being turned to ash by exposing them to retaliation.
I will NOT comply.