Author Topic: British Student Union Aims to Ban Clapping and Cheering Because It Excludes Deaf People  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Katherine Timpf
May 1, 2017

The National Union of Students warned audience members at its conference that they must not clap or cheer during speeches because clapping and cheering make deaf people feel excluded. According to an article in The Telegraph, attendees at last week’s conference were warned that clapping and cheering could have a “serious impact” on deaf participants, and they were instructed to use “jazz hands” to show their support instead. “No whooping, it does have a serious impact on some delegates’ ability to access [the] conference,” Estelle Hart, an NUS elections-committee member and chairwoman of a Thursday session, told students.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447219/british-student-union-aims-ban-clapping-and-cheering-because-it-excludes-deaf-people
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sounds like they have Diana Moon Glampers as a faculty advisor.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:40:28 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
But it doesn't exclude them. They may not be able to hear the clapping and cheering, but they can see it taking place and often, feel the vibrations through whatever they are sitting or standing on.

This ban would be highly prejudicial against the deaf in assuming how they interact with the world is so limited they can't enjoy other's clapping and cheering.

Offline thackney

Katherine Timpf
May 1, 2017

The National Union of Students warned audience members at its conference that they must not clap or cheer during speeches because clapping and cheering make deaf people feel excluded. According to an article in The Telegraph, attendees at last week’s conference were warned that clapping and cheering could have a “serious impact” on deaf participants, and they were instructed to use “jazz hands” to show their support instead. “No whooping, it does have a serious impact on some delegates’ ability to access [the] conference,” Estelle Hart, an NUS elections-committee member and chairwoman of a Thursday session, told students.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447219/british-student-union-aims-ban-clapping-and-cheering-because-it-excludes-deaf-people

If they are deaf, how do they hear the speech?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Will they call for the banning of visual aids, too, so as not to exclude the vision-impaired?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Wouldn't "Jazz Hands" be cultural appropriation?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Well I assumed it'd be signed. But sign language requires sight, so wouldn't any and all visuals be discrimination too?

I think what needs to be applied is the Helen Keller standard.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:57:01 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

Well I assumed it'd be signed. But sign language requires sight, so wouldn't any and all visuals be discrimination too?

I think what needs to be applied is the Helen Keller standard.

If they can watch and understand sign-language, they can watch and understand the response in clapping.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Since most leftist faculty are deaf, dumb and blind to the truth already, it shouldn't be that hard to transition to the HK standard.

Maybe they could 'identify' as deaf, then they'd actually be deaf, so it'd be ok to clap and holler.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:59:10 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

That was my first thought.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

Depends on the culture.