Author Topic: Monument honoring Vietnam helicopter crews approved for Arlington Cemetery  (Read 1157 times)

rangerrebew

Monument honoring Vietnam helicopter crews approved for Arlington Cemetery
By: Charlsy Panzino, April 30, 2017

It’s been three years in the making, but helicopter crews who flew during the Vietnam War will have their own monument at Arlington National Cemetery.

The Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association and Congress came together for the Vietnam Helicopter Crew Monument Act, directing the secretary of the Army to place a 2 1/2-foot by 2 1/2-foot monument at the cemetery in Virginia. It will be placed in Section 35 along Memorial Drive, not far from the Tomb of the Unknowns.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/monument-honoring-vietnam-helicopter-crews-approved-for-arlington-cemetery
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:47:40 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Good. I have had the privilege of knowing a couple of slick drivers who flew there, and they are a breed apart. Great guys.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nice to see them recognized.  Don't know if you ever read "Chickenhawk". @Smokin Joe , but it is definitely worth a read if you haven't.  Written by Robert Mason, who was a slick pilot in Vietnam.  Every helo guy I know loves that book.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Good. I have had the privilege of knowing a couple of slick drivers who flew there, and they are a breed apart. Great guys.
Pilots.... and crew chiefs and door gunners too.

In some cases they flew directly into enemy fire to extract our troops.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

Nice to see them recognized.  Don't know if you ever read "Chickenhawk". @Smokin Joe , but it is definitely worth a read if you haven't.  Written by Robert Mason, who was a slick pilot in Vietnam.  Every helo guy I know loves that book.
I haven't, but I will! Thanks!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

I had a roommate in college who was in ROTC and signed up for Armor in the mistaken belief he would be sent to Germany.  He took a psychological test and came out between hostile and unstable and wound up driving helos in Viet Nam.

Wingnut

I had a roommate in college who was in ROTC and signed up for Armor in the mistaken belief he would be sent to Germany.  He took a psychological test and came out between hostile and unstable and wound up driving helos in Viet Nam.

I think me and Arlo sat with him on the Group W bench back in 67.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Guys, I'm linking this here.  As good a book as has been written about Vietnam, period.  527 reviews, and the lowest is 4-stars.

https://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0143035711

A true, bestselling story from the battlefield that faithfully portrays the horror, the madness, and the trauma of the Vietnam War

More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger.

"Very simply the best book so far about Vietnam." -St. Louis Post-Dispatch

@Smokin Joe @Wingnut @rangerrebew @truth_seeker
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:24:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

Thanks! I had already hunted the book down on Amazon... :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Guys, I'm linking this here.  As good a book as has been written about Vietnam, period.  527 reviews, and the lowest is 4-stars.

https://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0143035711

A true, bestselling story from the battlefield that faithfully portrays the horror, the madness, and the trauma of the Vietnam War

More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger.

"Very simply the best book so far about Vietnam." -St. Louis Post-Dispatch

@Smokin Joe @Wingnut @rangerrebew @truth_seeker
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll add it to my list.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

Oh, I was wondering why we'd honor Vietnam's helo pilots from the title.